Formula to solve this question

• Thread starter hisoko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the formula to solve for the time it takes for a stone to touch the ground when thrown off a cliff is t=(2d/g)^(1/2), where t is time, d is distance, and g is acceleration due to gravity. The horizontal and vertical velocities are treated separately, so throwing the stone horizontally is like dropping it straight down from a vertical point of view. To find the displacement, or distance from the base of the cliff to where the stone lands, you can use the equation s=d/t, where s is the displacement, d is the distance, and t is the time calculated using the previous formula. It is important to note that giving answers to homework questions is against forum rules, so it is
hisoko
Hi i need to know the formula to solve this question

stone is thrown off cliff horizontally at a speed ??m/s from the top of a cliff that's ??m high. How do i find the time it takes for the stone to touch the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
the horizontal speed doesn't matter,

t=(2d/g)0.5

t is time
d is distance
g is acceleration due to gravity

Last edited:
Horizontal and vertical velocities and treated separately. So Throwing it horizontally is like dropping it straight down when from a vertical point of view.

s=ut + 1/2 *a*t^2

s-distance it falls (height of cliff)
u-initial velocity = 0 => ut=0
a-gravity (g)

so...t=(2s/g)^(1/2)

okay and to find the displacment? (distance from the base of the cliff to where the stone lands) from knowing only the height of cliff and speed of rock

hisoko said:
okay and to find the displacment? (distance from the base of the cliff to where the stone lands) from knowing only the height of cliff and speed of rock

It is against PF rules to give answers to homework questions. Try googling "kinematic equations" and post back your thoughts on the question, and we will be able to help you further. In future, please use the template with which you were provided:

You know the horizontal velocity (which is constant throughout) and you just figured out how long it is going to travel horizontally

hisoko said:
:bugeye:
Well unless there's some highly unusaul morphology going on, it's pretty safe to say the (vertical) distance between the base of the cliff and where the stone lands would be 0.

I presume you're looking for horizontal distance in which case I'll give you a clue, s=d/t.

What is the formula to solve this question?

The formula to solve a question depends on the specific question being asked. Different types of problems require different formulas and approaches. It is important to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to use a formula to solve it.

Can I use any formula to solve this question?

No, you cannot use just any formula to solve a question. The formula must be relevant and applicable to the specific question being asked. Using the wrong formula can lead to incorrect answers.

Do I need to memorize all the formulas to solve questions?

While it is helpful to have a basic understanding of common formulas, it is not necessary to memorize all the formulas to solve questions. It is more important to understand the concepts and principles behind the formulas and know how to apply them to different types of questions.

How do I know which formula to use to solve a question?

The formula to use depends on the type of problem and the given information. It is important to carefully read and analyze the question to determine which formula is most appropriate. It may also be helpful to review similar examples or ask for assistance from a teacher or tutor.

What should I do if I can't find a formula to solve this question?

If you are unable to find a relevant formula to solve a question, it may be helpful to break down the question and try to solve it using basic concepts and principles. You can also seek assistance from a teacher or tutor for guidance on how to approach the problem.