Solve 4th Order Differential Equations (No Guesswork!)

• Thread starter maddogtheman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffeq
In summary, the conversation discusses two fourth order differential equations and the possibility of solving them using techniques other than guessing. The equations are similar to trigonometric equations but not exactly the same. After some discussion and factoring, it is determined that the solution to one of the equations is y=0 and the solution to the other is A+Bexp(x). It is suggested to use Laplace transformation to solve the equations.
maddogtheman
[SOLVED] Forth Order DiffEq

I've recently come across the following differential equations. y''''+y=0 and y''''-y=0. Can differential equations such as these be solved with any technique other than guessing for the particular solutions? They seem very simular to trig's equation but are still not quite the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
the only solution that i can see is y=0.
from those equations y = -y and y''''=-y'''' which can only happen if y=0

According to mathematica, the most general answer is:
[tex]y= e^{-\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}} \left(\left(e^{\sqrt{2} x} C[1]+C[2]\right) \text{Cos}\left[\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}\right]+\left(C[3]+e^{\sqrt{2} x} C[4]\right) \text{Sin}\left[\frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}\right]\right)[/tex].
The way I would solve this is to write down the characteristic equation to it.
[tex] r^4+1=0[/tex]
[tex]r=(-1)^{1/4}[/tex]
I think you know how to do it from here.

I don't see how that's a solution to both of the differential equations (although it is a solution to one of them)...

lzkelley said:
the only solution that i can see is y=0.
from those equations y = -y and y''''=-y'''' which can only happen if y=0

I hope that was meant to be two separate equations, not a system.

It's only the solution to the first one (y''''+y=0).

maddogtheman said:
I've recently come across the following differential equations. y''''+y=0 and y''''-y=0. Can differential equations such as these be solved with any technique other than guessing for the particular solutions? They seem very simular to trig's equation but are still not quite the same.

factor

y''''+y=0
(D^4+1)y=0
(D^2+2cos(pi/4)D+1)(D^2-2cos(pi/4)D+1)y=0

y''''-y=0
(D^4-1)y=0
(D+1)(D-1)(D^2+1)y=0

Then either do partial fraction decomposition or note that since the factors are independent the solution of the product is the sum of the solutions of the factors
ie
D(D-1)y=0
Du=0->u=A
(D-1)v=0->v=Bexp(x)
y=u+v=A+Bexp(x)

Apply Laplace transformation.

1. What is a 4th order differential equation?

A 4th order differential equation is an equation that involves the fourth derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. It can be written in the form: y^(4) = f(x,y,y',y'',y''')

2. How can I solve a 4th order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving 4th order differential equations, such as the power series method, Laplace transform method, and numerical methods. However, there is no single method that can solve all types of 4th order differential equations. It is best to consult a textbook or a professional for guidance on which method to use for a specific equation.

3. What is meant by "no guesswork" in solving 4th order differential equations?

Typically, when solving differential equations, one has to make educated guesses for the form of the solution. However, with advanced techniques and methods, it is possible to solve 4th order differential equations without having to make any guesses. This leads to a more accurate and efficient solution.

4. Can I use a computer or software to solve 4th order differential equations?

Yes, many software programs and computer languages have built-in functions or packages for solving differential equations, including 4th order ones. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of the problem and the method being used to ensure the accuracy of the solution.

5. Are 4th order differential equations used in real-world applications?

Yes, 4th order differential equations are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and finance. They are used to model and understand complex systems and processes, and the solutions obtained from them can provide valuable insights and predictions.