Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fortran Creating a Video

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1
    Hi, using Fortran that writes a large amount of arrays to a text/dat file.

Is there some kind of software where I can create a video of these arrays changing from beginning to end?

I've tried using VMD, but cannot get dat/text files working on it.

Any input will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

What is the size of the arrays?

It seems you could write them the terminal screen and blank the screen between snapshots to show them changing in place.

4. Mar 9, 2015 #3
    I need to change the size of the arrays each time I run the programme but they vary from 10x10 to 100x100.

Will I need to snapshot the screen manually? I can have over 100 arrays written to the file and it'll take a while to screen shot each one manually.

5. Mar 9, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

You could just record the video output depending on the graphics card you have.

6. Mar 9, 2015 #5
    Okay thanks and I'd need to do this in the terminal, is there a way of recording each array snapshot from a dat/text file?

7. Mar 9, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

I would use a for loop to control calculation and then display and then sleep for a second or less and then repeat.

Prior to each snapshot display I'd clear the screen using an ANSI screen code printed to the screen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook