Best Fortran Library for FFT - FFTPACK Example

• Fortran
  • Thread starter xaratustra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fft Fortran
In summary, for someone new to Fortran looking for the best library for FFT, FFTPACK is recommended. It is suggested to refer to the book 'Numerical Recipes in Fortran' for a detailed explanation of FFT algorithms. The 2nd edition is available for free on www.nr.com and allows for the use of their source code. It is also mentioned that using a pure Fortran routine will result in faster performance.
xaratustra
I am new to Fortran. Is there an ultimate best library for FFT for Fortran (95)?

I found this one FFTPACK. I am not sure if this is the best one. Is there anywhere a simple example how to use it?

I have huge time files (260 MB each) that I like to read in Fortran and perform FFT and store the results in HDF5 format. I almost do the same thing with C++ using FFTW, but I it is a bit slow. There is a wrapper for FFTW for Fortran, but I wondered if a pure Fortran routine will be faster?

thanks.

:smile:

Technology news on Phys.org
Check out 'Numerical Recipes in Fortran' the 2nd edition is available free from www.nr.com
Chapter 12 covers about all the FFT algorithms you will need. Note the copyright statement in the preface specifically permits you to use their source !

Pure fortran will be much faster

Regards

Sam

great!
that is what I need.

What is the Best Fortran Library for FFT?

The best Fortran library for FFT is subjective and depends on the specific needs of the user. Some popular libraries include FFTPACK, FFTW, and MKL. It is recommended to research and compare different libraries to determine which one best fits your requirements.

What is FFTPACK?

FFTPACK is a popular Fortran library for implementing Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithms. It was developed by Paul Swarztrauber and is widely used in many scientific and engineering applications.

What are the advantages of using FFTPACK?

FFTPACK offers a variety of advantages such as high accuracy, efficiency, flexibility, and portability. It also has a comprehensive set of routines for different FFT variations and can handle both real and complex data.

Can I find an example of using FFTPACK in Fortran?

Yes, there are many examples of using FFTPACK in Fortran available online. You can also refer to the official documentation of FFTPACK for detailed usage instructions and examples.

Is FFTPACK suitable for my application?

FFTPACK is a versatile library and can be used in a wide range of applications such as signal processing, image processing, data compression, and spectral analysis. However, it is always recommended to evaluate and compare different libraries to determine which one is best for your specific application.