Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fortran in Linux

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    Hello,

I used to do schoolwork in Fortran (Compaq Windows version).
    Couple weeks ago I decided to say "good-bye" to Windows and installed Mandriva Linux.

But now I'm quiet confused how program work in work. I see that nolonger I don't have beautiful white window to write program text or..?
    Does anyone who explain to me how Fortran work in Linux. Which free or not-free Fortran program does exist? Where I write the program text and so on...I feel very miserable

Best wishes,
    Marden in Estonia

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2008 #2

minger

Science Advisor

I personally use VI editor (which supports syntax highlighting) and g95, which is a free, open-source compiler. You might also need Make, which is a utility which can help build the executable.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want a cool looking free IDE to work on your code might want to try SunStudio, Anjuta, Geany, KDevelop for example. And most text editing tools in Linux have code highlighting properties.

5. Dec 13, 2008 #4
    This is my advice. If you were doing HPC stuff, there are better compilers but for classwork this is your best bet. Free and effective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?