Learn Fortran Programming: Compaq Visual Fortran 6 Options

• Fortran
  • Thread starter j. martinez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, to start writing Fortran code on Compac Visual Fortran 6, you should choose the "Fortran Console Application" option in the Project tab and create a project to add and create files within the IDE. This will allow you to run your code from the command line/console.
j. martinez
Hello,

Currently I am using compaq visual fortran 6 to learn fortran programming.

I am very beginner on this so I really confuse about how to use it. Can anyone tell me which option I should choose from the following attached image, to start writing some fortran code?

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3903/cvf6startmenu.png

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the image you posted, but it seems to me that "Developer Studio" would be the way to go.

The rest of those options should be available to use for your code through the Dev. Studio.

Hi Maxwell, Thank you for the fast reply. Rather than try it by myself, can you tell me which tab and which of its option I should choose next for sure?

Regards

Jayson

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/4462/cvf6projectstab.png

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1992/cvf6filestab.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, you should choose Fortran Console Application in the Project tab. And you should choose a name for your project on that same tab.

j. martinez said:
Hi Maxwell, Thank you for the fast reply. Rather than try it by myself, can you tell me which tab and which of its option I should choose next for sure?

Regards

Jayson

Hey Jayson, I didn't see that you replied.

For the first picture, like pezze said, you should choose the Fortran console application. This will allow you to create a project and run the code from the command line/console.

The tab in the second picture includes options for creating a single file as opposed to a project.

Create a project and add and create files to it from within your IDE.

1. What is Fortran programming?

Fortran (short for Formula Translation) is a high-level programming language designed specifically for scientific and engineering applications. It is widely used in areas such as computational science, numerical analysis, and data processing.

2. What is Compaq Visual Fortran 6?

Compaq Visual Fortran 6 is a specific version of the Fortran programming language developed by Compaq (now owned by Hewlett-Packard) in the late 1990s. It is an integrated development environment (IDE) that includes a compiler, debugger, and other tools to help programmers write and debug Fortran code.

3. What are the main features of Compaq Visual Fortran 6?

Some of the main features of Compaq Visual Fortran 6 include a user-friendly interface, a powerful compiler that can optimize code for performance, a debugger for finding and fixing errors, and support for creating graphical user interfaces (GUIs) for Fortran programs.

4. Is Fortran still relevant in today's programming landscape?

Yes, Fortran is still widely used in scientific and engineering fields and continues to be a popular choice for high-performance computing applications. Many legacy programs are also written in Fortran, making it necessary for researchers to have knowledge of the language.

5. Can I learn Fortran programming with Compaq Visual Fortran 6 even if I have no prior programming experience?

Yes, Compaq Visual Fortran 6 is designed to be user-friendly and accessible for beginners. However, some basic understanding of programming concepts and logic will be helpful in learning Fortran. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started with Fortran programming.