Fortran: reading the data from file

Hello, I have data in file and I want to read the data into variable in fortran to save memory caculation. I want to know: When I open file inputdata, whether fortran have any notices about the way it read data into variables? (like mathematica: each open file, we just read in the order anyway)

Answers and Replies

You can find examples via google.

Here's a tutorial on it:

http://www.math.hawaii.edu/~hile/fortran/fort7.htm

It also depends on the type of input file like if its a text file or a binary file file access would be somewhat different
or if it was a netcdf file where you'd need to use netcdf apis to read/write to it.

Thanks. In case, I have the data file like:
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10
4 5 1 5 8
9 6 3 2 1
7 4 2 1 13
and I want to create the coeff A of equations system
A= 1 2 3 5
4 5 1 8
9 6 3 1
Whether or not I can take these data from the file by statement?

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10
4 5 1 5 8
9 6 3 2 1
7 4 2 1 13
A= 1 2 3 5
4 5 1 8
9 6 3 1
Yes, this is pretty straightforward to do. What have you tried so far? You shouldn't expect us to write the code for you, though.

Last edited:
Yes, this is pretty straightforward to do. What have you tried so far? You shouldn't expect us to write the code for you, though.
No. I mean I am a new one in programing. So many concept in fortran I dont Know.
I just want to know whether it can do that or not and How to do that. In my code, [A]= [1]+[2]+[3]+[4] so many matrices so that I try to find more about reading array data from file on webs.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10
4 5 1 5 8
9 6 3 2 1
7 4 2 1 13
A= 1 2 3 5
4 5 1 8
9 6 3 1
It's not clear to me what you're trying to do. From what you show above, the pattern appears to be
1. Read in the contents of a row, and store the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th item in the array, skipping the 4th item.
2. Skip the next row.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

However, the numbers you show in your array A don't follow this pattern when you get to the 4th row. Is that a mistake?

I want to solve the equation system by fortran and Laplack subroutine. And the first thing to do is create the matrix coeff A. I think
It's not clear to me what you're trying to do. From what you show above, the pattern appears to be
1. Read in the contents of a row, and store the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th item in the array, skipping the 4th item.
2. Skip the next row.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2.

However, the numbers you show in your array A don't follow this pattern when you get to the 4th row. Is that a mistake?
Thank. To be clear, my problem is solve equations system
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwK2cNv1sXawbWx6N21LQXMtME0/view?usp=sharing [Broken]
By the way, Can you give me a example about statement: skip the row while reading data from file and read the any rows from input file?
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 424
Last edited by a moderator:
jtbell
Mentor
Can you give me a example about statement: skip the row while reading data from file

A read() statement normally reads one line from the file. To skip a line, simply use a read() statement that does not list any input variables:

Fortran:
      read (ifile, *)