Fortran90 compiler for Linux

In summary, the person is using Mandriva 2008 and needs to compile a program with a fortran compiler. They have installed gcc f95 and Intel FC, but are getting errors when using ifort and g95. They are unsure which compiler to use as the program's manual states f90. They are using fortran for the first time and are experiencing issues with the compiler. The gnu fortran compiler is g95 and the error could be due to a fortran error or an issue with the compiler's installation.
carbon9
Hi folks,

I'm using Mandriva 2008 for some time and I now have to compile a program using fortran compiler. I've installed gcc f95 compiler and Intel FC but the compiling gives error when I use

ifort myfile.f
and
g95 myfile.f

In the manual of the program that I'll compile with fortran compiler, it is written as

f90 myfile.f

I think it calles a compiler using f90. Which fortran compiler is it and how can I install it?

Regards,

PS. I'm using fortran the first time:)

Technology news on Phys.org
The gnu fortran compiler is g95 (http://www.g95.org/)
The book is probably just written assumign that you are using any fortran 90 compiler.

What is the error you are getting - is it a fortran error or an isntall problem with the compiler?

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out about your issue with compiling a program using Fortran on your Linux system. It seems that you have already tried using the gcc f95 and Intel FC compilers, but have encountered errors. It is possible that the program you are trying to compile specifically requires a Fortran90 compiler.

Fortunately, there are a few options for Fortran90 compilers that you can try. One option is the GNU Fortran (gfortran) compiler, which is available for Linux systems and can be installed through your package manager. Another option is the IBM XL Fortran compiler, which is also available for Linux systems but may require a license.

As for the specific compiler mentioned in the manual of the program you are trying to compile, it is likely referring to the f90 compiler included in the GNU Fortran compiler suite. You can try installing and using this compiler to see if it works for your program.

I hope this helps and good luck with your Fortran programming!

1. What is a Fortran90 compiler for Linux?

A Fortran90 compiler for Linux is a computer program that translates source code written in the Fortran90 programming language into machine code that can be executed by a Linux operating system.

2. Why would I need a Fortran90 compiler for Linux?

If you want to write and run programs using the Fortran90 language on a Linux system, you will need a Fortran90 compiler. Without it, your code will not be able to be executed.

3. How do I install a Fortran90 compiler on Linux?

There are several Fortran90 compilers available for Linux, such as GNU Fortran (gfortran) and Intel Fortran (ifort). You can install them using your Linux distribution's package manager or by downloading and installing them from their respective websites.

4. Can I use a Fortran90 compiler for Linux on other operating systems?

Some Fortran90 compilers, such as gfortran, are cross-platform and can be used on other operating systems like Windows and MacOS. However, others may be specific to Linux and may not be compatible with other operating systems.

5. Are there any alternatives to a Fortran90 compiler for Linux?

Yes, there are other programming languages and compilers that can be used on Linux, such as C, C++, and Python. However, if you specifically want to use Fortran90, a Fortran90 compiler for Linux is necessary.