Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forum Ads

1. Aug 10, 2009 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Why am I suddenly getting ads from PhysOrg.com embedded in every thread I'm reading? I thought not getting these was a perk of being a paying member?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Working for me - a cookie issue?

4. Aug 10, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

They aren't really ads, Dave. Greg mentioned that PF has gone into a sort of partnership with Physorg. It's just an easy way to link to them.

5. Aug 10, 2009 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

6. Aug 10, 2009 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, Dave, that looks like a fantastic vacation!

But, um, on day 5 you show a severed mooring line...on a Titanic blanket?!?

7. Aug 10, 2009 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice! Thanks for sharing.

8. Aug 10, 2009 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Bwahahahah!!!! I never noticed that! That's my "dirty rag" towel on the boat.

9. Aug 11, 2009 #8
    Looks like a great vacation, Dave. Some of those houses you took pictures of are gorgeous. Plus it looks as if the weather was mostly on your side.

And yes, you evidently missed this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=328148

it explains the whole dealy.

10. Aug 11, 2009 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of those adventures remind me of the old adage...the two best days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it! :biggrin:

When you're docking in bad weather, always add a cross line for stability (there's probably some fancy nautical term for that, but in addition to lines straight across from the dock to the stern and bow, run two diagonally, one from the mooring near the bow to a cleat on the stern, and vice versa). And LOTS of rubber bumpers around the boat.

11. Aug 11, 2009 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yep. They are called spring lines.
    Dock lines prevent on and off-dock movement, spring lines prevent back and forward movement. I put them on whenever I'm leaving the boat for any period of time.

I had a total of five lines of the boat. Two docks, two springs and a backup stern dockline.

Yeah. Wouldn't have mattered. The wave motion shoved the boat against the wall, then lifted the boat, grinding all the bumpers off.

The big mistake I made was in choosing a site that was easier to moor at, rather than choosing a site that was more protected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook