1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forum bugs

1. Apr 23, 2006 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Bug #1: If the LaTeX source to an image contains an apostrophe, you cannot click the image to see the source. (I imagine the apostrophe is causing javascript errors by closing a string literal)

Example: [itex]f'(x) = 0[/itex]

Bug #2: The forum code is too liberal with escaping characters: in particular, you cannot print a Greek letter with α because the forum software happily escapes the ampersand. Fixing this bug would be nice because it's quicker to type α than [itex]\alpha[/itex], and would reduce the number of LaTeX images in posts.

I know these have been around for a while; are there plans to fix them, or was it decided that it's not worth the effort?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was wandering how do you type superscript letters in you post, because at the moment I'm using latex which slows things down a little?

~H

4. Apr 23, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[ sup ] ... [ /sup ]

5. Apr 23, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for that Hurkyl, seem obvious now...:blushing:

~H

6. Apr 23, 2006 #5
    HTML entity names were disabled in 3.5

You can use &# 913; for alpha and such Α

7. Apr 24, 2006 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?