1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forum on Engineering Graphics

1. Jan 24, 2005 #1
    Hi ,

i did not where to ask this question but i am asking it here . Pls suggest me a forum dealing with Engineering graphics as i am having lot of problem in understanding and visualising it or any nice online store dealing with this...as the pf hasn't got any section devoted to engineering graphics.

Any help would be deeply appreciated..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2005 #2
    Guys pls common...any kind of help will be appreciated...i am really not able to understand engineering graphics..pls explain to me how to get into it.

4. Jan 25, 2005 #3
    Just post a specific problem here and see if someone can help.

5. May 17, 2005 #4
    Its even diffficult to post a graphics problem..

6. May 18, 2005 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's just as difficult to post a graphics problem here as any other forum!

The guys in the engineering forum will do their best to answer any specific questions.

7. May 18, 2005 #6
    what is enginnering graphics? do you mean computer graphics? or 3D environmental Development?

8. May 18, 2005 #7

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, just throw it in here if possible, there is lots of visualization, modeling etc. expertise on board.

9. May 18, 2005 #8
    subject dealing with visualisation of objects,Prespective views,i can just say we try to show 3d on 2d....and many many things come under this..Quite interesting too

10. May 18, 2005 #9
    ah with that definition i know what it is...The term "engineering Graphics" is new to me
    your talking about things liek VTK, AUtocad, VRML?

Yeah we jsut use the terms computer graphics, 3D graphics or 3D environmental design

11. May 18, 2005 #10
    Autocad, Solidworks, Rhino, MathCad, TurboCad and SolidEdge are all "engineering graphics" programs. There are Yahoo groups that discuss all these applications, and some Usenet groups as well. The company websites can supply quite a lot of info. Most of these applications have time-limited demos that cad be downloaded and tried as well.
    Best of luck

12. May 21, 2005 #11
    Can somebody suggest how to learn making animations on own...there is a requirement of 3ds max which i have installed...is there a way to learn by own??
    Thx for urs suggestions..I am highly grateful

13. May 21, 2005 #12

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not familiar with 3D Studio Max, but one of my best friends taught it himself over a few weeks. He's a bit of a dunce, so it should be do-able.

14. May 21, 2005 #13
    ....mmm what are you talking about...to make animations in 3Dsmax? or to code animations? pick up a standard book from the bookstore(preferably the one named "bible"(or browse thorugh it) look up the key words like keyframes, autokey, and i think interpolation(or spline)
    3Dsmax is like claymation where you make stills of frames and put them together...but the advantage of 3Dsmax/softimage/maya is that between frames they allow you to interpolate(follow-spline) to create smoother animations.
    If your going to code animations then you need to learn about keyframes/interpolations and splines from teh programming standpoint.

15. May 22, 2005 #14
    Just install your 3DMax and dive in. See if you canfind the manual while you're at it. 3D CGI programs are fairly intuitive once you learn the tools offered in a specific program. You won't get anywhere asking questions on here. Its best to, like I said, dive in and learn...........trial by fire!

16. May 23, 2005 #15
    I know 3ds Max 7! (Pro/E, Solidworks, and Inventor also) To make animations in Max you could either keyframe the individual frames or use AutoKey. When autokey is selected your frame track turns red. That means it's hot. Any changes you make to your scene/model/camera will be recorded on that frame. When you move the slider to the next increment of time (say 30 frames later or 1 sec) and then change the scene again, you have just recorded your next major motion in your animation. Now if you press the playback button next to "autokey" you will see that max 'figures out' the frames in between the two changes you made in your scene. i.e. If you made a model clap his hands and at frame zero his hands were by his side then at frame 100 his hands were together, Max would determine the in-between-motions needed to make that happen.

Also, to make an animation that will play in media play, you can render the individual frames...under the Render tab, make sure they go to the folder of your choice. Then bust out Adobe Premier Pro, go to File<Import<click on the first frame from your folder<click numbered stills, then in the Project window, drop and drag the stills into the video track. Add music if you like, then go to file<export<movie< choose .avi......and bam! your set!

Any other questions, just ask

Last edited: May 23, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?