Forum Rules: Understand Why Questions Are Closed on Physics Forums

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
In summary, there was a question on PF asking how changes in the Earth's atmosphere would affect temperature, weather, and life forms. This question was closed due to the forum's rule of sticking to known science and not making guesses. Similar questions have also been closed in the past. While the guesses may be based on known science, they are not considered valuable contributions to the forum. It was suggested that if the question focused solely on actual Earth sciences, it could be acceptable. However, speculating on how humans would be different is not considered a valuable topic on the forum.
Avichal
I'm a bit confused regarding questions which are not allowed here on PF.

There is this recent question that was closed - https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4508302#post4508302

It asked if the Earth atmosphere's thickness differed, then how will it affect temperature, weather and life forms?
I don't understand why is this closed. It requires knowledge of how atmosphere affects Earth and more of Earth sciences.

Similar questions in which you change one aspect and question how would it affect the surroundings, are sometimes closed. Why is this? I don't think this is speculation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The OP was asking people to speculate on how life on Earth would be different, how humans would be different. This leaves our criteria of sticking to known science and just making guesses. That is not the point of our science forums.

If the OP were to change it to exclude making guesses about things we can't know like how we would be different, and focus on actual Earth sciences, then it could be acceptable.

Last edited:
Evo said:
The OP was asking people to speculate on how life on Earth would be different, how humans would be different. This leaves our criteria of sticking to known science and just making guesses. That is not the point of our science forums.

If the OP were to change it to exclude making guesses about things we can't know like how we would be different, then it could be acceptable.

But the guesses will not be mere guesses, right? It will be based on known science of course.
Figuring out how humans would be different is somewhat tough and there will be no acceptable answer but are the forums rules so strict?

Over the years we have learned that those most qualified to speculate, do not. Speculations are loved by those with little or no knowledge so this type of thread really has little to offer.

Likes 1 person

What are the most common reasons for a question to be closed on Physics Forums?

The most common reasons for a question to be closed on Physics Forums are that it is not specific enough, it is a duplicate of a previously asked question, it belongs in a different forum, it lacks effort or research on the part of the asker, or it is not relevant to the topic of physics.

Why are duplicate questions not allowed on Physics Forums?

Duplicate questions are not allowed on Physics Forums because they clutter the forum and make it difficult for users to find relevant information. It is also a waste of time and resources for users to answer the same question multiple times.

What does it mean for a question to lack effort or research?

When a question lacks effort or research, it means that the asker has not put in enough effort to try and find the answer themselves. This could include not researching the topic beforehand, not providing enough information or context in the question, or not showing any attempt at solving the problem on their own.

How can I improve my question to avoid it being closed on Physics Forums?

To avoid having your question closed on Physics Forums, make sure to provide enough information and context, do some research on the topic beforehand, and show your own attempt at solving the problem. Also, make sure to post your question in the appropriate forum and make it as specific as possible.

Can I appeal the closure of my question on Physics Forums?

Yes, you can appeal the closure of your question on Physics Forums by posting in the "Site Feedback and Announcements" forum. However, it is important to first understand why your question was closed and make necessary improvements before appealing.