Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fossil Of A Fish I Think ?

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1
    I Found This Rock/Pebble Whilst Down The Beach In Swansea, UK And I Was Intruged As To What It Is.. After Inspection I'd Almost Definately Say Its Of A Fish And One With Eyes Very Close Together It Would Appear... It Also Has A Large Tail/Fin On One Side On The Rock, Also It Appears To Have A Small ''Nose'' Approximately 1cm Infront Of Its Eyes. The Reason It Is Shiny Is Because I Made It Glossy To Bring Out Detail, There Are Also Definate Bone Like Structures Throughout The ''Tail''. Any Help With This Is Very Much Appreciated As Im Only 14 And This Is Quite Exciting As I Want A Job In Geology When Im Older... Thanks Again.
    Fossil.jpg

Fossil 2.jpg

Fossil3.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you bring it to your local university or college and see what they say?

4. Jun 3, 2010 #3
    Yeah Thats An Idea :) Is This A Fossil Though Because I Really Dont Want To Look Silly Hehe

5. Jun 3, 2010 #4

Doc Al

Why would you look silly? And if you did, who cares? You'll learn something either way.

6. Jun 3, 2010 #5
    Yeah Hope This Is Something Good Now :) Also I Found 2 Mussel Fossils And A Limpet Fossil ... Well That What They Look Like

7. Jun 3, 2010 #6

Xnn

I looked up Swansea, and it appears to be an area of Torridonian sandstone.
    If so, then that would make it 542 million years old or more.

8. Jun 3, 2010 #7

Xnn

opps, the first map I looked at had 2 colors (navy blue and black) for different geologies.
    One of those colors was near Swansea and my computer didn't display the difference very well.

On a second map, it appears clearer that Swansea has a coal measure geology.
    That would be the upper carboniferous period or somewhere between 300 to 330 million years old. As far as fossils go, that is a much richer period of time.

9. Jun 3, 2010 #8
    Wow Interesting.... So This Would Be A Very old Fossil ? Was This Around The point Fish Started Becoming Amphibians Before Or After ? Im So Glad With My Find Now :) And Ive Noticed Now Aswell That There's A Fin Going Across The Whole Top Of Its Body

10. Jun 4, 2010 #9
    Hey,

Swansea is indeed on Carboniferous-aged rocks. The fossil appears to be a coral. Specifically a rugose-type coral. The preservation isn't great, but still a nice find. The area around Swansea is a classic locality for Carboniferous marine limestones - essentially an ancient reef.

11. Jun 4, 2010 #10

Borek

First rule when you want to look serious: avoid abuse of formatting and capitalization.

12. Jun 4, 2010 #11
    I found out that ppl involved with geology and paleontology are really cool guys and girls. They are most of the time happy when you go to them with something, no matter how little thing it is. I think most of them will be nice and wont ridicule you even if its not a fossil.

13. Jun 4, 2010 #12
    Im Going To Get It Checked Soon, More Hunting In The Same Place Tommorow I Think. :)

14. Jun 4, 2010 #13
    See, Borek, how much he cares :devil:

15. Jun 4, 2010 #14
    About My Grammar Or Fossil Hunting Lol ?

16. Jun 4, 2010 #15
    If i started to dig into a limestone cliff could i find fossils and also is it legal ? Even though its on a secluded bay so hardly anyone would see ;).

17. Jun 4, 2010 #16
    Check your legislation for the general case and be aware it is a misdemeanor in most of the world to dig in protected areas.

18. Jun 4, 2010 #17
    There's probably a high chance of it being protected :(. How Do I Go About Finding Out About The Legislation ?

19. Jun 4, 2010 #18
    Fossils should only be removed if they are loose, or easily extracted from the rock. Please do not "dig" out large portions of rock, especially a cliff - it could be dangerous. However, you must obtain permission from the landowner if the site on private land, and most importantly, check the site is not an SSSI, RIGS or other protected site. This website gives basic safety information, as well as some very good fossil localities: http://www.ukfossils.co.uk/national_collecting_code.htm [Broken]

P.S Look up the page a wee bit and you'll see I've told you what your fossil is :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. Jun 4, 2010 #19
    Thanks For All The Help :)! However I Really Dont Think This Is Rugose Coral As I Can Definately Make Out The Structures In Picture 2 To Be 3 Seperate ''Bones'' And Also I Can Make Out 1 definate eye and another highly possible one. Also it now looks like a fin running along the top of it. Some Of These are hard to notice in the pictures but they are all definately there ?? Its A Puzzling One

And also can u find fossils in a limestone cliff people :)?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  21. Jun 4, 2010 #20

Xnn

The fish of the fossil lived between 30 to 100 million years before fish had evolved legs and started walking on land. So, there were plenty of land creatures by the time.

Lots of coal beds were being laid down at the time because there were lots of plant life on land especially in marshy areas. This supported lots of insects, amphibians and reptiles, but no dinosaurs or birds. Don't believe there were real trees as we know them either at the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook