Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Found a nice web page.

1. Jul 16, 2003 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2003 #2
    Are you talking about the page that says:
    For example, Archimedes' rule tells us that the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle equals the sum of the squares of two sides. That rule actually defines a space metric called the "flat" metric or the "Euclidean metric" in two space dimensions.

'Interesting' is all I can say.

4. Jul 19, 2003 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where'd you see that quote? The pages I skimmed attributed the pythagorean theorem to Pythagoras.

5. Jul 20, 2003 #4
    You go to 'Theoretical Physics Fun', then 'Solve The Einstein Equations Yourself', then 'Solving Einstein's Equation in Three Dimensions', then 'What Is the Spacetime Geometry?', then 'A Few key concepts for the brave.

In other words, http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/patricia/test/Einstein33.html.

And do note not only the pfact the theorem is attributed to the wrong person, but what it actually says here... I myself have never seen THIS in action: 'hypotenuse of a right triangle equals the sum of the squares of two sides'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?