Found a Liquid Dropped in Computer

In summary, the liquid spilled on the keyboard caused problems with the computer and, if the keyboard had been water-resistant, the incident would not have caused as much damage.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, I thought I would post this, hope not against protocol, thought may be helpful to someone else at some point -- though hope it is not necessary:.

I had dropped a bit of liquid on the PC (laptop) , in the keyboard area. PC was not working well, typing errors, etc.
I put the laptop open, facing down, close to the AC blasting in high mode. Problems gone.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I did something similar years ago where I answered the corded phone on my desk. The cord snapped and hit a soda can dumping the contents into the keyboard of a brand new display terminal (televideo). I made the mistake of flipping the keyboard upside down to dump out the soda.

What happened was the keys acted as little umbrellas protecting the stem of the key and by flipping it upside down the soda liquid was able to coat the stem causing sticky keys forever. I felt so bad but luckily they had a spare replacement keyboard and I was back in business.

Wonder if any powerful AC nearby would have made a difference. And I dropped a small amount of liquid too, far less than a can of soda.

Water is different from soda sugar water.

In my case, it would have been better to let the soda evaporate as things were protected with plastic sheets under the keyboard for just such an occurrence.

jedishrfu said:
Water is different from soda sugar water.

In my case, it would have been better to let the soda evaporate as things were protected with plastic sheets under the keyboard for just such an occurrence.

It was not really water, though. Still, we can still use the (Seinfeld ) cliché : they can send a man to the moon, but they cannot ... build a water -resistant keyboard.

Likes jedishrfu
Likes WWGD
I prefer using isopropanol to wash my computer components. Do it under a fumehood if you have access to one or somewhere with a LOT of ventilation like outside and away from any heat/electrical sources (stuff is highly flammable). Make sure parts are completely dry before turning them on.

What should I do if I accidentally drop liquid in my computer?

If you accidentally dropped liquid in your computer, the first thing you should do is turn off the power and unplug the computer immediately. This will help prevent any further damage to the internal components.

Will the liquid damage my computer?

It depends on the type of liquid and how much was spilled. Water or clean liquids like juice or soda may not cause much damage if quickly cleaned up. However, liquids like coffee or alcohol can be more corrosive and may cause damage if not cleaned up promptly.

How can I clean the liquid from my computer?

You can clean the liquid from your computer by carefully wiping it with a dry cloth or paper towel. It is important to avoid using any cleaning products, as they may cause further damage. You can also use a can of compressed air to blow out any remaining liquid or debris.

What if my computer doesn't turn on after the liquid spill?

If your computer does not turn on after the liquid spill, it is likely that the liquid has caused damage to the internal components. You may need to take your computer to a professional for repair or replacement of damaged parts.

How can I prevent liquid spills in the future?

To prevent liquid spills in the future, it is important to keep all drinks and other liquids away from your computer. You may also consider using a spill-proof keyboard or investing in a laptop sleeve with a waterproof lining. In case of accidental spills, it is always a good idea to have a backup of your important files and data.