Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Found a Solution: Liquid Dropped in Computer

1. Aug 29, 2015 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, I thought I would post this, hope not against protocol, thought may be helpful to someone else at some point -- though hope it is not necessary:.

I had dropped a bit of liquid on the PC (laptop) , in the keyboard area. PC was not working well, typing errors, etc.
    I put the laptop open, facing down, close to the AC blasting in high mode. Problems gone.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I did something similar years ago where I answered the corded phone on my desk. The cord snapped and hit a soda can dumping the contents into the keyboard of a brand new display terminal (televideo). I made the mistake of flipping the keyboard upside down to dump out the soda.

What happened was the keys acted as little umbrellas protecting the stem of the key and by flipping it upside down the soda liquid was able to coat the stem causing sticky keys forever. I felt so bad but luckily they had a spare replacement keyboard and I was back in business.

4. Aug 30, 2015 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wonder if any powerful AC nearby would have made a difference. And I dropped a small amount of liquid too, far less than a can of soda.

5. Aug 30, 2015 #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Water is different from soda sugar water.

In my case, it would have been better to let the soda evaporate as things were protected with plastic sheets under the keyboard for just such an occurrence.

6. Aug 30, 2015 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was not really water, though. Still, we can still use the (Seinfeld ) cliché : they can send a man to the moon, but they cannot ..... build a water -resistant keyboard.

7. Aug 30, 2015 #6
  8. Sep 2, 2015 #7
    I prefer using isopropanol to wash my computer components. Do it under a fumehood if you have access to one or somewhere with a LOT of ventilation like outside and away from any heat/electrical sources (stuff is highly flammable). Make sure parts are completely dry before turning them on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook