Found half an answer, I with the direction please.

• Thread starter nesan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the initial velocity of the projectile is 22 m/s at an angle of 63 degrees above the horizontal.
nesan

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched with a horizontal velocity of 10 m/s and a vertical velocity of 20 m/s. What is the magnitude and direction of the projectile’s initial velocity?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the trigonometric method but I end up with only 1 side and 1 angle which isn't good. I could logically think that since one side is 20 and one side is 10, the angle would be

90 / 3 = 30

30 * 2 = 60

But the answer sheet says 63 degrees. :"(
I found the magnitude but the problem is I can't find the direction. More specifically, at what degree is it traveling at.

The magnitude is 22.

So it should be

22 m/s [Up x Horizontal]

x = an unknown angle

I'm having trouble finding the value of x.

Than you. :3

NVM GOT IT. LOL :D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nesan said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched with a horizontal velocity of 10 m/s and a vertical velocity of 20 m/s. What is the magnitude and direction of the projectile’s initial velocity?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the trigonometric method but I end up with only 1 side and 1 angle which isn't good. I could logically think that since one side is 20 and one side is 10, the angle would be

90 / 3 = 30

30 * 2 = 60

But the answer sheet says 63 degrees. :"(

I found the magnitude but the problem is I can't find the direction. More specifically, at what degree is it traveling at.

The magnitude is 22.

So it should be

22 m/s [Up x Horizontal]

x = an unknown angle

I'm having trouble finding the value of x.

Than you. :3

NVM GOT IT. LOL :D

Have you drawn a picture?
If you did you would see a right-angled triangle, and just use the Tangent function.

1. What does it mean to have "found half an answer"?

"Found half an answer" typically refers to a situation where someone has partially answered a question or solved a problem, but still needs additional information or research to fully understand or address the issue. It suggests that progress has been made, but there is still work to be done.

2. How can I tell if I have found half an answer?

If you are unsure if you have found half an answer, ask yourself if you have only partially answered the question or if there are still gaps in your understanding. If so, then you likely have found half an answer and should continue to search for more information or insights to reach a complete understanding.

3. What should I do if I have found half an answer?

If you have found half an answer, it is important to continue researching and gathering information to fill in the gaps. This could involve conducting experiments, consulting with experts, or reading additional literature. It is also important to critically evaluate your findings and make sure they are supported by evidence.

4. Is it common to only find half an answer in scientific research?

Yes, it is very common to only find half an answer in scientific research. The process of scientific inquiry involves constantly building upon previous knowledge and discoveries, so it is rare for a single study or experiment to provide a complete answer. It often takes multiple studies and collaborations with other scientists to reach a full understanding of a topic.

5. How can I use my half answer to continue my research?

Your half answer can serve as a starting point for further research. Use it to guide your next steps and determine what additional information or experiments you need to fully understand the topic. You can also use it to collaborate with other scientists and build upon each other's findings to reach a complete answer.