1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Found some old books

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    Since old books are almost always better and are recommended here,I found the following old books and I was wondering if should I use them or if they are too old:
    Griffin’s book, Introduction to Mathematical Analysis
    Durell and Robson, Elenientary Calculus, volumes I and I1
    Hardy's A Course of Pure Mathematics (Cambridge Uni-
    versity Press)
    What is calculus about? by W. W. Sawyer
    Calculus L.V. TARASOV Basic Concepts for High Schools
    Piaggio 's differential equations
    Algebra through practice ROBERTSON
    A Survey of Physical theory by Planck
    MATHEMATICS Its Content, Methods, and Meaning by different authors
    and this one which is newer: All you Wanted to Know About Mathematics but Were Afraid to Ask By Louis Lyons
    University of Oxford
    Reviews?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2
    Who said old books are almost always better?

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
    Well do you know any recent good book ?

5. Jul 30, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

There are plenty marvelous new books, e.g., every textbook by S. Weinberg (quantum field theory (3 vols.), Cosmology (both the 1971 and 2008 books), and Quantum Mechanics) is great.

It's very natural that one gets the impression that "old text books" are better than newer is that only the good ones survive long enough that we are aware of them. The bad ones are simply not visible anymore and get forgotten :-).

6. Jul 30, 2013 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Theoristo did. And he has quite a point and some good examples. Though the explanation might be that of vanhees.

Hardy I have always near and is excellent for both ideas and technique at its level (early university or late school advanced, depending on coutry) yet very digestible, Piaggio is brilliantly short yet full, simple and digestible, very good especially for those useless special d.e.'s esp 1st order they make you do and you forget, but you can find them again in the unlikely case you need them (e.g. for helping students do useless d.e.'s) though there are bits I haven't understood yet, then anything by WW Sawyer is good.

7. Aug 1, 2013 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Not familiar with the others, but these are quite good
    Durell and Robson, Elenientary Calculus, volumes I and I1
    Piaggio 's differential equations
    and
    Hardy's A Course of Pure Mathematics (Cambridge Uni-
    versity Press)
    is even better
    Hardy's book besides being a joy to read occupies an interesting niche. It covers the early parts of calculus completely. Most newer books either leave out important details or move to quickly.

8. Aug 1, 2013 #7
    Durell and Robson is from 1933 can I still use it today?

9. Aug 1, 2013 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not aware of any new derivatives or indefinite integrals being discovered in the last 80 years, and the multiplication tables haven't been affected by inflation, so go for it.

10. Aug 1, 2013 #9
    Thanks.

11. Aug 2, 2013 #10
    Some nice finds. The W. W. Sawyer book is one I'd like to recommend for an informal intro to calculus book, but it is typically too expensive on Amazon.

12. Aug 2, 2013 #11
    I found other really old book:(older is better:biggrin:)
    **Differential and Integral Calculus by Clyde E. Love
    **Calculus by Henry Charles Wolff
    **Introduction To Calculus by Kuratowski Kazimierz.((Of these three which is the best?))
    Elementary Vector Analysis by Weatherburn.
    VECTOR ANALYSIS AND THE THEORY OF RELATIVITY by FRANCIS D. MURNAGHAN
    A Course Of Modern Analysis by Whitaker, E. T Watson, G. N
    A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure Mathematics; Containing Propositions, Formul , and Methods of Analysis, with Abridged Demonstrations. Suppl by George Shoobridge Carr
    Any reviews or any comparing with newer ones?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  13. Aug 2, 2013 #12
    A review on amazon of Introduction To Calculus by Kuratowski Kazimierz says that it rivals Spivak?any comment?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  14. Aug 3, 2013 #13
    There 's also Piskunov's book on calculus ,what's its quality compared to the already stated ones?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted