1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foundation of maths

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If m; n, and d are integers, d > 0, and dl(m - n), what is the relation between
    m mod d and n mod d? Prove your answer.
    2. Relevant equations
    @@@
    3. The attempt at a solution
    (m-n)/=dk >>>>>(m-n)/d=k.....equation 1
    m mod d means m=dq1+r1 where q1 is the quotient and r1 is the answer for mod
    n mod d means n=dq2+r2 where q2 is the quotient and r2 is the answer for mod

r1-r2= m-dq1-n+dq2 =(m-n)+d(q1-q2)
    sub equation 1 into it,
    (r1-r2)/d +q1-q2=k

how can i show that q1-q2 is equal to k so that i can conclude r1 and r2 is same. Any1?or any better solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2
    You want only natural number solutions, so use only multiplication and addition of variables in your algebra steps. (Do not do divisions that could create fractions.)

With the given information, ##d | (m-n)##, write this out just like your other equations. Also, you can always replace an expression with a new variable, so ##q_1 - q_2 = q##. My recommendation is that you read the equations you create in terms of divisibility and see if you get it. "m minus n divided by d leaves a remainder of"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted