1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Foundation System

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Again, I have a question where I have not idea what I did wrong... Please give suggestions! Thanks. Work is shown on attachment.

You have a foundation wall system in the field that you were asked to determine the load capacity of per lineal foot. The wall has the following measurements and specifications:

Specifications:

f c' = 3,000 psi f y = 40,000 psi Allowable soil bearing capacity = 4,000 psf

Wall loads: live = three times the dead load per foot
    dead = one third the live load per foot

Cover for footer steel = 3”

#4 rebar at 9” center to center for main steel
    ___ - #5 rebar for temperature steel

Wall load includes the weight of the wall however not the weight of the footer.

Wall thickness = 8” Footer depth: h = 16” Footer width: w = 4’- 6”

Note: Perform and show all code check considerations.

Maximum unfactored live load the wall footer can safely carry: __11385______ #/’

Maximum unfactored dead load the wall footer can safely carry: ____3795____ #/’

Area of longitudinal steel: __1.728_____ sq in __6_____ - # 5 bars

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

View attachment question3.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not my field but..

I notice the question says "4000 psf". I might be wrong but your answer sheet appears to say "T = 4000 psi" ?

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    You are correct. I miss labeled it. This would not affect the answers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook