What are some of the notable FQX awardees and their research projects?

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
In summary, the FQXI has announced their list of awardees, which includes well-known names in the field of physics such as Anthony Garrett Lisi, Louis Crane, Fotini Markopoulou, Brian Greene, Olaf Dreyer, Chris Isham, Jorge Pullin, and Xiao-Gang Wen. These individuals will receive funding for their research projects, and the committee has been praised for their selection of diverse academic institutions and research topics. Some discussions have already begun around the awardees and their work.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey GARRETT!

Anthony Garrett Lisi is on the list!

AND other familiar names

Louis Crane (of the Barrett-Crane spinfoam model) also Kea's co-author
Fotini Markopoulou
Brian Greene (topic does not seem to be string. what is he up to?)
Olaf Dreyer (ex-Perimeter now-Imperial)
Chris Isham (topos, Kea will like that)
Jorge Pullin (we've discussed Gambini-Pullin papers including resolution of BH puzzle using real quantum clocks)
Xiao-Gang Wen (we had a thread touching on his work)

SOME names are so famous I won't even bother to mention them.

We've had something about Abraham Loeb----inventivie smart observationalist. original ideas for testing ideas.
===========

I see I beat Peter Woit, but only by about 10 minutes. I posted at 7:09 PM (eastern) and he at 7:21 PM.
thanks to Mixed States for the reminder.

Last edited:
Well, anyway, good luck with the research project Garrett!
I hope some of the next year or two can be spent at a hot research location where your brains can be stimulating other people and you can be buffeted around a bit by other people's thinking too:smile:
but whatever or however you go, my feeling is that it's going to work!

Peter Woit has a some discussion going at N.E.W.
http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=436#comments

Xiao-Gang Wen, another of the Foundational awardees, showed up and commented at N.E.W., as did Garrett, and also Anthony Aguirre who is an assistant director or something at Foundational.
Also Peter has some more links to discussions elsewhere of FQX and Templeton.

personally I think their committee did a remarkably good job. I like the spread of academic institutions and research topics. You really can't tell how a committee did unless you know the range of proposals they had to pick from, and this was the first cycle of grant-applications, so who knows. But it certainly looks OK to me what they came up with!

1. What are Foundational Questions Awards?

Foundational Questions Awards (FQAs) are annual awards that recognize individuals or teams who have made significant contributions to the field of foundational research. These awards are given to those who have asked groundbreaking questions and have made significant strides in answering them.

2. Who is eligible for Foundational Questions Awards?

Any individual or team who has made significant contributions to foundational research is eligible for Foundational Questions Awards. This includes scientists, researchers, and academics from all fields of study.

3. How are the recipients of Foundational Questions Awards chosen?

The recipients of Foundational Questions Awards are chosen by a panel of experts in the field of foundational research. They carefully review and evaluate the nominations and select the individuals or teams who have made the most significant and groundbreaking contributions.

4. What is the purpose of Foundational Questions Awards?

The purpose of Foundational Questions Awards is to recognize and celebrate the importance of asking big, fundamental questions in scientific research. These awards also aim to promote and encourage further investigation into these foundational questions.

5. Can anyone nominate someone for a Foundational Questions Award?

Yes, anyone can nominate an individual or team for a Foundational Questions Award. Nominations are typically open to the public, and self-nominations are also accepted. However, the nomination process may differ depending on the specific awarding organization.