Foundations Engineering question?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem in which the person has attached their work and the answer given, but is still not getting the correct solution. They are asked to show their workings and to consider the given shear strength and bearing capacity of the clay.
Chapman2233

Homework Statement

View attachment.

Homework Equations

View attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment.

Everything should be in the attachment, i back tracked my working with the answer given on the sheet but i still don't end up with the right solution?

Attachments

• clip_image001.jpg
    clip_image001.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
Chapman2233;3835230[B said:
Everything should be in the attachment, i back tracked my working with the answer given on the sheet but i still don't end up with the right solution?
You don't show your workings. Please do so in order that we may better assist. Note that the shear strength is given. You need to correlate that with the bearing capacity of the clay.

1. What is foundations engineering?

Foundations engineering is a branch of civil engineering that deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of foundations for structures such as buildings, bridges, and roads. It focuses on ensuring the stability and strength of the ground beneath a structure to support the weight and loads placed on it.

2. Why is foundations engineering important?

Foundations engineering is important because it ensures the safety and stability of structures. A well-designed foundation can prevent structural failures, collapses, and other hazards. It also helps to distribute the weight of a structure evenly and prevents settlement or movement of the ground beneath the structure.

3. What factors are considered in foundations engineering?

The factors considered in foundations engineering include the soil type, load-bearing capacity of the soil, groundwater level, and environmental conditions such as earthquakes and floods. Other factors include the type of structure, its height and weight, and the surrounding topography.

4. What are some common types of foundations used in engineering?

Some common types of foundations used in engineering include shallow foundations (such as spread footings and mat foundations) and deep foundations (such as piles and drilled shafts). The type of foundation used depends on the soil conditions, load requirements, and the type of structure being built.

5. How is the stability of a foundation determined?

The stability of a foundation is determined through a geotechnical investigation, which involves soil testing and analysis. This helps to determine the type and strength of the soil, its load-bearing capacity, and any potential hazards or risks. Computer simulations and calculations are also used to assess the stability and performance of a foundation design.