1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fountain Power Question

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A fountain sends a stream of water 28.8 m up into the air. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8. IF the base of the stream is 4.38 cm in diameter, what power is required to send the water to this height?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I was thinking maybe using bernoulli's equation to find the pressure and plug into to the formula work=pressure x volume. Then plug the answer for work into power=work/delta t.

Then i was thinking how do u find the time.. so i used the equation t= the square root of 2gh.

Is my though process correct? Any hints?? tHANKS IN ADVANCE

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2
    work=pressure x volume

i believe work = pressure * velocity
    are u sure u need to find the time

4. Jan 15, 2007 #3
    Power = Force * Velocity as well =).

You have the right idea though that you would be using an equation where you get a square root of 2g(delta y). But the problem is that your equation isn't solving for time! Think about what you need =).

Pressure = Force / Area; use basic algebra to solve for Force. But problem, you don't have the pressure =). Solve for it.

You know the "rho" of water (density). There's an equation to get a pressure =).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  5. Jan 15, 2007 #4
    I solved for the Force by finding the mass and multiplying it by 9.8. Now I'm having trouble finding the velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?