Four bar linkage forward kinematics question

Your Name]In summary, Winston has shared his design for a machine with two mutually perpendicular revolute joints and is seeking help with a proposed change to one of the joints to a 4-bar linkage. He is looking for guidance on how to derive the new matrix for the 4-bar linkage and if there may be a better approach to achieve his goals. It is recommended that he first understand the kinematics of a 4-bar linkage and seek advice from others with experience in this area.
winston1234
Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

I have a design for a machine with two mutually perpendicular revolute joints, i.e.

a base,

a hinged joint,

an arm,

a hinge perpendicular to the first joint,

second arm.Using D-H forward kinematics I've got code working using 4*4 transformation matrices.

Now, there's a proposal to change one of the revolute joints to a 4-bar linkage.
All the joints in the new linkage will be parallel to the original axis.

(ASCII art attempt:)

(+ = joint)

|
+
|
-----

becomes

--------I--------
---+__I___+
---/ ---------\
--/------------\
-+__________+
---------------------

This means the simple revolute joint must be replaced by four
offset parallel revolute joints, which form a closed loop.

The simplicity of the original arrangement meant it was quite straightforward
to do the kinematics. The proposed arrangement has me confused.

So, I _think_ I need to replace the simple 4*4 matrix describing a revolute joint,
with a matrix describing the 4-bar linkage.

The treatments I've found are too general for me to figure it out.

Can anyone out there help me? How do I derive the new matrix?
Or is there a better approach?

Winston

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Winston,

Thank you for sharing your design for a machine with two mutually perpendicular revolute joints. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought and effort into developing this machine, and I'm sure it has great potential.

Regarding the proposed change to one of the revolute joints to a 4-bar linkage, I can understand why this may have you feeling confused. Changing the design of a machine can often be a complex and challenging task.

I would suggest taking a step back and first understanding the kinematics of a 4-bar linkage. This will help you better understand how the joints and links move in relation to each other. Once you have a good understanding of the kinematics, you can then work on deriving the new matrix for the 4-bar linkage.

There are many resources available online that can help you with this, such as tutorials, videos, and even simulation software. I would also recommend consulting with other engineers or scientists who have experience with 4-bar linkages for their insights and advice.

As for a better approach, it ultimately depends on your specific goals and requirements for the machine. It may be worth considering if there are alternative designs that can achieve the same or better results without the added complexity of the 4-bar linkage.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck with your project!

1. How do you define a four bar linkage forward kinematics?

A four bar linkage forward kinematics is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a four bar linkage system, which consists of four rigid bodies connected by four joints. It is used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of each body in the system as it moves.

2. What are the components of a four bar linkage system?

The four components of a four bar linkage system are the four rigid bodies, also known as links, and the four joints that connect them. The four joints are typically revolute or hinged joints, allowing for rotational motion between the links.

3. How do you calculate the forward kinematics of a four bar linkage system?

The forward kinematics of a four bar linkage system can be calculated using the Denavit-Hartenberg (DH) convention. This method involves assigning reference frames to each link and using transformation matrices to determine the position and orientation of each link relative to the previous one.

4. What are the applications of four bar linkage forward kinematics?

Four bar linkage forward kinematics has various applications in engineering and robotics. It is commonly used in the design of mechanical linkages, such as in car suspensions or industrial machinery. It is also an important concept in the field of robotics, as it is used to determine the motion of robot arms and other mechanical systems.

5. What are the limitations of four bar linkage forward kinematics?

Although four bar linkage forward kinematics is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the links are rigid and the joints are frictionless, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account external forces acting on the system, which can affect its motion.