Four-derivative expression help

• Thread starter ercagpince
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the person is asking for help with taking the derivative of the given expression and has attempted to do so by taking the derivatives of the components of the momentum four vector. However, they got stuck while trying to recombine the expression. They also provide an attempt at a solution, which involves using the derivative of the product rule.
ercagpince

Homework Statement

I need to take the derivative of this expression explicitly

Homework Equations

[tex]\partial_{\mu}Ae^{(-i/\hbar)x\bullet p}u(p)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take the derivative of it by taking the derivatives of components of the momentum four vector "p".
However, I got stuck while trying to recombine the expression left from derivation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ercagpince said:

Homework Statement

I need to take the derivative of this expression explicitly

Homework Equations

[tex]\partial_{\mu}Ae^{(-i/\hbar)x\bullet p}u(p)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take the derivative of it by taking the derivatives of components of the momentum four vector "p".
However, I got stuck while trying to recombine the expression left from derivation.
[tex]\partial_{\mu}Ae^{(-i/\hbar)x\bullet p}u(p)
=Ae^{(-i/\hbar)x\bullet p}u(p)[-i\hbar\partial_{\mu}(x^{\nu}p_{\nu})][/tex],
which should be easy.

Last edited:
thanks a lot!

1. What is a four-derivative expression?

A four-derivative expression is an expression in mathematics that involves taking the fourth derivative of a function. This means that the function is differentiated four times, resulting in a higher order expression.

2. Why do we use four-derivative expressions?

Four-derivative expressions are commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems with high levels of complexity. They allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of these systems in a more precise and accurate manner.

3. How do you solve a four-derivative expression?

To solve a four-derivative expression, you would use the chain rule and the product rule in calculus. By applying these rules multiple times, you can simplify the expression and find the solution.

4. What are some real-world applications of four-derivative expressions?

Four-derivative expressions are commonly used in fields such as fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. They can help us understand the behavior of fluids, particles, and electrical fields in various systems.

5. What are some common mistakes when working with four-derivative expressions?

One common mistake when working with four-derivative expressions is forgetting to use the chain rule and product rule correctly. Another mistake is not being careful with algebraic manipulations, which can lead to errors in the final solution.