1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four mass and Tension problem

1. Jul 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Four blocks are on a horizontal surface. The blocks are connected by thin strings with tensions Tx, Ty, Tz. The masses of the blocks are A=22.0 kg, B=21.0 kg, C=17.0 kg, D=27.0 kg. Two forces, F1=83.0N and F2=50.0N act on the masses as shown. Assume that the friction between the masses and the surface is negligible and calculate the tension Tx.

See attached Pic.

2. Relevant equations

F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I calculated the acceleration of this system.
    a=(F1-F2)/(mA+mB+mC+mD). a = .3793m/s^2

Then consider A and B as a whole.

So F1-Tx=(mA+mB)*a

Solve for Tx, which = 66.69N
    The correct answer is 74.7N... i really don't know what i'm doing wrong, any help / hint would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Although I can't see your diagram, if I assume that the four blocks from left to right are:

A B C D

and that

Tx is the tension in the rope connecting A and B
    Ty is the tension in the rope connecting B and C
    Tz is the tension in the rope connecting C and D

and that

F1 pulls to the left and acts on the leftmost end
    F2 pulls to the right and acts on the rightmost end

then I get the right answer. I don't think your approach of considering both A and B makes much sense (because then you have three different forces to consider, two of which are unknown). You want to consider a block for which the only two forces acting are one that you already know, and Tx. In this case, that is block A. Set up a free body diagram just for block A and try it again.

4. Jul 7, 2009 #3
    Yeah, your right. someone on my online class said to consider A and B as a whole but i guess thats wrong.
    thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook