Solving Mechanics Problems: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter Petrulis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, these four mechanics problems involve a boat, a comet, a dumbbell, and a table. The first problem asks how fast a boat can go and the second problem asks how fast a comet will go when it's flying to Earth. The third problem asks how high a light tennis-ball will rise after it's hit by a heavy metal ball and the fourth problem asks how fast a dumbbell will move when it's released to move. Kepler's laws doesn't seem to be helpful in any of these cases.
Petrulis
So here are these four mechanics problems. Could anyone help with them because I am quite new to the whole physics world :)

Homework Statement

1) Boat's engine during 1 second can give speed v to L litres of water. What is the maximum speed of boat, if its mass is equal to M?

Homework Equations

1) For the first, maybe I need use an impulse conservation law:

v * L = M * u (u is the maximum speed of boat);

So:

u = v * L/ M

But can this be so simple?

Homework Statement

2) A comet flys to Earth with speed v. The angle between the speed vector and the straight, which connects Earth and the comet, is equal to alfa. What the value of speed v should be, that the comet:

a) would become a satellite of Earth;
b) would hit the Earth;
c) would escape from the gravitational influence of Earth;

Homework Equations

2) I have no idea about calculating these speeds :(. Is there enough data in the problem statement? Maybe the required speed depend on the distance between Earth and the comet.

Homework Statement

3)A heavy metal ball starts to fall from 1 meter height, ant this ball hits a light tennis-ball on the table. After the hit, metall ball rises nearly to 1 meter height. To what height does a light tennis-ball rise?

The Attempt at a Solution

An energy conservation law should be useful here. But then it means that a little tennis-ball rises to height which is nearly equal to zero.

Homework Statement

4) A dumbbell (distance between balls is l) stands upright on a flat. This dumbbell is released to move. What speed will have each ball when the dumbbell hits the flat (there is no friction).

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that there should energy conversation law and impulse moment
law be used.

As first, only the top ball and the stick between balls has got some potentional energy which is equal to

E1 = mgl + Mgl/2
m - mass of a ball;
M - mass of a stick;

When a dumbbell is released to move, it startes to turn around a ball which is on a flat. When a dumbbell hits a flat, all system has some kinetic energy:

Iw^2/2 - kinetic energy of a stic;

mv^2/2 - kinetic energy of a upper ball;

But I can't bring all these equations and ideas into one unit (I can't exclude the masses m and M from equations. Maybe a ball which is on flat also has got some kinetic energy when this system hits a flat, and the equation of kinetic energy of upper ball (mv^2/2) is different)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
to the comet question, i think you should express the velocity in terms of alpha.

malawi_glenn said:
to the comet question, i think you should express the velocity in terms of alpha.
I think the same way but I have now ideas about what formulas I should use here.

Kepler's laws doesn't look to be helpful in this case.

1. What are the four mechanics problems?

The four mechanics problems are statics, dynamics, kinematics, and kinetics. Statics deals with the study of objects at rest or in equilibrium, dynamics deals with the study of objects in motion, kinematics deals with the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion, and kinetics deals with the study of the forces acting on objects in motion.

2. What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

The main difference between statics and dynamics is that statics deals with objects at rest or in equilibrium, while dynamics deals with objects in motion. Statics focuses on the balance of forces and moments, while dynamics focuses on the causes of motion and the resulting motion itself.

3. What is the difference between kinematics and kinetics?

The main difference between kinematics and kinetics is that kinematics deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion, while kinetics deals with the forces acting on objects in motion. Kinematics focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects, while kinetics focuses on the forces that cause changes in motion.

4. How are the four mechanics problems applied in real life?

The four mechanics problems are applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. For example, statics is used in architecture and construction to design stable structures, dynamics is used in aerospace engineering to study the motion of objects in space, kinematics is used in robotics to design and control movements of robots, and kinetics is used in sports science to understand the forces involved in human movements.

5. What are some common examples of problems that can be solved using mechanics?

Some common examples of problems that can be solved using mechanics include calculating the forces and stresses on a bridge, determining the motion of a projectile, analyzing the movement of a car on a curved road, and understanding the forces involved in a human's gait cycle. Mechanics is a fundamental branch of physics and has numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering.