How can I express the force in Special Relativity using four momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of force in special theory of relativity, which can be written as \ F=\frac{dp}{dt}=\ m\gamma\ a +\ m\gamma\frac{\ u .\ a}{\ c^2 -\ u^2}\ u, where a is acceleration. The conversation also addresses the use of \ p=\gamma\ m\ u for 3-velocity and its applicability to 4-velocity and 4-momentum. It concludes that the expression for 4-force cannot be written in the same way as for 3-velocity.
neelakash

Homework Statement

To write the expression of force in STR

[tex]\ F=\frac{dp}{dt}=\ m\gamma\ a +\ m\gamma\frac{\ u .\ a}{\ c^2 -\ u^2}\ u[/tex]

Here a is acceleration

Homework Equations

I used the equation [tex]\ p=\gamma\ m\ u[/tex]

I interpreted F as four force,p as four momentum, a as four-acceleration, u as four velocity etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

Mere differentitation is giving the answer;But I do not know if the method is correct.Because, [tex]\ p=\gamma\ m\ u[/tex] for 3 velocity---that's for sure.But is it also true for four velocity and four momentum?

Physics news on Phys.org
It occurs to me that you can pretty much answer your own question just by looking up the definitions of "4-momentum", "4-velocity" and "4-force"...surely your text has those definitions?

Seems my instructor did not formulated the problem in the correct way.The expression is for 3velocity;that for 4 velocity is not that simple.

What exactly is the problem statement?

To show that 4force can be expressed as

[tex]
\ F=\frac{dp}{dt}=\ m\gamma\ a +\ m\gamma\frac{\ u .\ a}{\ c^2 -\ u^2}\ u
[/tex]

But it can't be expressed that way...for starters, if [itex]\textbf{F}[/itex] is the 4-force, [itex]\textbf{P}[/itex] the 4-momentum and [itex]\tau[/itex] the proper time, then

[tex]\textbf{F}=\frac{d\textbf{P}}{d\tau}\neq\frac{d\textbf{P}}{dt}[/tex]

yea,I also suspect that the expression is not meant for 4 force.

1. What is the Four Momentum Expression?

The Four Momentum Expression is a mathematical representation of the total energy and momentum of a particle in four-dimensional spacetime. It is commonly used in particle physics and relativity to describe the motion and interactions of particles.

2. How is the Four Momentum Expression calculated?

The Four Momentum Expression is calculated by multiplying the particle's energy (E) by its four-velocity (u) in the x, y, z, and t dimensions. This results in a four-component vector, with the first component representing the particle's energy and the remaining three components representing its momentum in the x, y, and z directions.

3. What are the units of the Four Momentum Expression?

The units of the Four Momentum Expression are typically in energy-momentum units, such as joules (J) or electron-volts (eV), depending on the system of measurement being used. In natural units, the expression can also be given in terms of mass units, such as kilograms (kg) or GeV/c^2.

4. How is the Four Momentum Expression used in experiments?

The Four Momentum Expression is used in experiments to calculate the total energy and momentum of particles involved in a collision. By measuring the four-momentum of particles before and after a collision, scientists can determine the properties of the particles and gain insight into the underlying physical processes.

5. What is the significance of the Four Momentum Expression?

The Four Momentum Expression is significant because it allows for the conservation of energy and momentum to be easily expressed and understood in four-dimensional spacetime. It also provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at high energies and in relativistic scenarios where traditional Newtonian mechanics do not apply.