1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four proof that exercises about taylor polynomials

1. May 14, 2012 #1
    Four "proof that" exercises about taylor polynomials

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Definition: A function f is called C^n if f n times derivable and if the n-time derivable f^(n) is continuos. If is from class C^n then its called f ε C^n

Exercise 1) Be f ε C^n in the interval [a,x]. Be P a polynomial of degree n such that P^(k) (a) = f^(k) (a), for all k = 0,1,2..n. Proof that lim (x->a) [f(x) - P(x)] / (x-a)^n = 0.

Suggestion: apply L'Hopital rule n times then uses the continuity

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, deriving n times using L'Hopital I come with: lim (x->a) [f´(n) (x) - P´(n) (x)] / n*(n-1)*(n-2)*...... (2)*(1)*(x-a)^(n-n) = 0

-> lim(x->a) [f´(n) (x) - P´(n) (x)] / n! = 0
    Then I don't know how to proceed

2)The following exercise is a modification from the first that doesn't demand the continuity of f'(n), but limits the choice of the P polynomial. Be a ε R e be f a function such that f'(a),.....f'(n) (a) all exist. Be P a polynomial of degree n such that P^(k) (a) = f^(k) (a), for all k = 0,1,2..n., like before, but now under an extra condition:
    P(x) = [f'(n) (a) * (x-a)^n] / n! + [f'(n-1) (a)*(x-a)^(n-1)] / (n-1)! +.... (inferior order terms)

So: lim (x->a) [f(x) - P (x)] / (x-a)^n = 0
    Sugestion applys the L'Hopital rule n-1 times and then use the properties of P

P(x) has too many terms, so I can't imagine what it will look alike after I derivate each one N-1 times. Plus in the first
    one I was thinking in derive n times not n-1

3)a)Be P and Q two polynomials em (x-a) of degree <=n. Suppose that P and Q are equals until order n in a.
    Be R:=P-Q. Proof that lim (x->a) R(x)/(x-a) = 0 for all k=0,1,2... Note that R(x)/(x-a)^k = R(x)*(x-a)^(n-k)/(x-a)^n

No clue about how to do it or the tip. And := means approximately?

3)b)Realize that P=Q
    Suggestion: All is necessary is to prove that R=0. To do so, if R(x) = b0 + b1*(x-a)+...+bn*(x-a)^n use the previous item to prove that b0 = 0. So should be R(x) = b1 (x-a) + .....+bn*(x-a)^n and the previous can be used once more to demonstrate now that b1=0 and keeping so until bn.

Depends on the previous item

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted