1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four tires to mount on a car these can be mounted

1. Apr 19, 2005 #1
    If you have four tires to mount on a car these can be mounted in 4!=24 different ways. I initially thought it would be 4*4=16 ways. Why is this assumption wrong? What would the problem have to be like for my 4*4 to be the solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2005 #2
    Four different tires can be mounted in 4! ways because you have 4 possibilities for the first wheel, then only 3 for the second wheel (since the tire you put on the first wheel can't be put on the second wheel) then only 2 possibilities for the third one and then only 1 for the last.

An example of 4 * 4 = 16 ways is if you have 4 different types of tires and large numbers of each type, and a two-wheeled vehicle, then you have 4*4 = 16 different ways to choose your tires.

4. Apr 19, 2005 #3
    Hmm....if I have four brands of tires, that would explain the first 4-digit, but how come the vehicle has to be two wheeled...? If the vehicle had three wheels, would the answer then be 4*4*4 ?

5. Apr 19, 2005 #4
    Yes-four possibilities for the type of each tire, so you multiply them together. 4*4 for a two-wheeled vehicle, 4*4*4 for a three-wheeled vehicle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?