Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four U.S. soldiers charged with rape and murder

1. Oct 18, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/10/18/soldiers.court/index.html
    What kind of nutballs are we (the U.S.) sending over to "protect" and "help" these people as "friends of their new democracy"? Do I get any say in the punishment? Because I have some ideas. This really makes me angry. :mad:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/10/01/ING42LCIGK1.DTL

4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

EL

Science Advisor

These things happen in war all the time, and shouldn't come as a surprise.

5. Oct 19, 2006 #4

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Absolutely true. Raping women and murdering civilians is something done in all armies in all wars. You can't attribute it to some special flaw in the US, or the present generation, or anything.

What is special about the US, and the current generation is that these criminals are being brought before the bar of justice.

6. Oct 19, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Any kind we can get! You think it's easy meeting recruitment quotas?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/07/w...n=1be0e7d4e2aac8d3&ei=5090&partner=rssuserlan

7. Oct 19, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yes it would be, if there hadn't been an enlistment requirement to believe that all Iraqis are dangerous terrorists who need to be kept in check by all means.
    Most sane soldiers with some moral qualms are not allowed participate.

That is, the usual selection preference of dumb soldiers is in force in the US (as in just about any other conflict throughout history).

8. Oct 19, 2006 #7
  9. Oct 19, 2006 #8

EL

Science Advisor

No it's not special for the US. For example we have swedish soldiers convicted for war crimes in Bosnia.
    But maybe you ment that what is special is that US is now bringing their own soldiers to court, just as we have been doing here in Europe for a while?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  10. Oct 19, 2006 #9
    what bugs me about this is that there are tons of alleged crimes like this, you can find them to some degree everywhere you look and the coalition (not just the us) officals will always say 'no one in this army is commiting any war crimes' and every now and then these things still pop up. theres no question that these officals' remarks are inaccurate, the question is to what degree are they inaccurate.

11. Oct 19, 2006 #10
    So you would do the same? Seems to me cultural background and the individual are the main determining factors.
    I do see that this has roots in our (primate) history of violence and that genocides actually have the same pattern - kill the men, rape the women.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  12. Oct 20, 2006 #11

EL

Science Advisor

No, of course I wouldn't do the same. What I ment is that when you start a war, things like this will always happen. There are no "clean" wars, even though some pro-war people naively seems to think so.

13. Oct 22, 2006 #12
    If you let them continue as "normal" actions, then yes they will.

14. Oct 22, 2006 #13

EL

Science Advisor

You make it sound like I'm defending war crimes, and I don't see where you got that from?

"Clean" wars are an utopia. The only way to get rid of war crimes is to not go to war.

15. Oct 22, 2006 #14
    I see what you're saying. True we shouldn't be surprised given past evidence, but that doesn't mean that people won't be outraged by it. It sounded like an excuse someone might give to not do anything about it and hence let it continue as an acceptable loss.

16. Oct 23, 2006 #15

EL

Science Advisor

That the war criminals should be punished is obvious. It's great that US finally seems to go in that direction. What would be even better is if US stopped starting unnecessary wars. Indirect it's the warlords who are responsible for all those crimes.

17. Feb 22, 2007 #16

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This war crime was in the news again
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6384781.stm

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  18. Feb 22, 2007 #17

radou

Homework Helper

Any ideas on how to make them stop? I doubt.

19. Feb 22, 2007 #18

verty

Homework Helper

I think it's obvious that the psychology/sociology of the soldiers is wrong. They are either nutjobs or the nature of the situation turns ordinary people into monsters. We shouldn't say "oh well, it happens", we should do something about it. I have a suspicion that private forces would better withstand such behaviour.

In that recent friendly fire video, we hear one of the pilots say "Go get him!". If that is evident of the mentality of the soldiers, you know something is seriously wrong higher up.

20. Feb 22, 2007 #19
    What is wrong with that mentality? The pilot obviously thought he was shooting at an enemy convoy.

21. Feb 22, 2007 #20

radou

Homework Helper

...or both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?