Are Spacelike and Timelike Orthogonal: Mathematical Proof Explained

In summary, spacelike and timelike orthogonal are two types of orthogonal relationships in spacetime. Spacelike orthogonal means that the two vectors are perpendicular in space, while timelike orthogonal means that they are perpendicular in time. The mathematical proof for spacelike and timelike orthogonal is derived from the Minkowski metric and involves solving for the dot product of two vectors. When two vectors are orthogonal in spacetime, it means that they are perpendicular to each other in both space and time. Understanding spacelike and timelike orthogonal is important in various fields and can help in predicting and analyzing the behavior of objects in motion. While the mathematical proof may be difficult for those unfamiliar with advanced mathematics and special relativity
koustav
are spacelike and timelike orthogonal?what is the mathematical proof

Physics news on Phys.org
Not in general, no.

Not exactly, no, but any four-vector that's orthogonal to a spacelike vector must be timelike, and vice versa.

Spacelike just means that the magnitude of the three-vector spatial component is greater than the time component. Timelike means the opposite. And two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is zero. So let's say we have the following two four-vectors:

##\mathbf{A} = (A_t, \mathbf{a}) \qquad \mathbf{B} = (B_t, \mathbf{b})##.

If they are orthogonal, then their dot product is zero:

##\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} = (A_t)(B_t) - (a)(b) = 0##,

which means that:

##\dfrac{A_t}{a} = \dfrac{b}{B_t}##.

Assuming that ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}## aren't lightlike (magnitude of zero), then this result can only occur if one of them is spacelike and the other is timelike. In other words, it must be the case that if ##A_t > a##, then ##b > B_t## (and vice versa).

SiennaTheGr8 said:
but any four-vector that's orthogonal to a spacelike vector must be timelike, and vice versa
This is incorrect. Let ##V = (0,1,0,0)## and ##W = (0,0,1,0)##. Then ##V\cdot W = 0## and both ##V## and ##W## are space-like.

Likes SiennaTheGr8
Retracted!

I need to rethink the conditions/exceptions for that "rule."

SiennaTheGr8 said:
Retracted!

I need to rethink the conditions/exceptions for that "rule."
Any vector orthogonal to a time-like vector is space-like. Any vector orthogonal to a light-like vector is either proportional to the light-like vector itself or space-like. A vector orthogonal to a space-like vector may be time-like, space-like, or light-like.

Likes koustav
Thanks for setting me straight on that. I hadn't thought through it rigorously enough.

Orodruin said:
Any vector orthogonal to a time-like vector is space-like. Any vector orthogonal to a light-like vector is either proportional to the light-like vector itself or space-like. A vector orthogonal to a space-like vector may be time-like, space-like, or light-like.
can you help me with the mathematical proof

SiennaTheGr8 said:
Not exactly, no, but any four-vector that's orthogonal to a spacelike vector must be timelike, and vice versa.

Spacelike just means that the magnitude of the three-vector spatial component is greater than the time component. Timelike means the opposite. And two vectors are orthogonal if their dot product is zero. So let's say we have the following two four-vectors:

##\mathbf{A} = (A_t, \mathbf{a}) \qquad \mathbf{B} = (B_t, \mathbf{b})##.

which means that:

##\dfrac{A_t}{a} = \dfrac{b}{B_t}##.

Assuming that ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}## aren't lightlike (magnitude of zero), then this result can only occur if one of them is spacelike and the other is timelike. In other words, it must be the case that if ##A_t > a##, then ##b > B_t## (and vice versa).

Aside from the error I made that @Orodruin pointed out, I'd add that I assumed here that ##a \neq 0## and ##B_t \neq 0##, which certainly may not be the case.

koustav said:
can you help me with the mathematical proof
In the case of a time-like vector, go to a reference frame where it is proportional to (1,0,0,0). Do the corresponding thing for space-like and null vectors.

SiennaTheGr8 said:

This should be
$$\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} = A_tB_t - \mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b} = A_tB_t - a_x b_x - a_y b_y- a_z b_z=0$$

Likes SiennaTheGr8
Yes, dot product.

I got a lot wrong there!

I'm using the mainly-minus convention for the Minkowski product ("west-coast convention" a la Bjorken+Drell). Then you have for the components ##x^{\mu}## and ##y^{\mu}## with respect to a Minkowski-orthonormal basis,
$$x \cdot y=\eta_{\mu \nu} x^{\mu} y^{\nu}=x^0 y^0-\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y},$$
where ##\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y}## is the usual Euclidean product built with the three spatial components.

A four-vector ##x## is now called timelike if ##x \cdot x>0##, lightlike if ##x \cdot x=0##, and spaclike if ##x \cdot x<0##.

You can prove that any non-zero vector which is Minkowski-orthogonal to a timelike vector is spacelike (the opposite is of course wrong as shows above). So let ##x## be space like and ##y## and arbitrary vector such that ##x \cdot y=0##. We have to show that from ##x \cdot x>0## one necessarily then has ##y \cdot y<0##. The trick is to write the product out and use that the usual scalar product of the spaclike components is positive definite. From that you get
$$|\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y}| \leq |\vec{x}| |\vec{y}| \; \Rightarrow \; (\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y})^2 \geq \vec{x}^2 \vec{y}^2,$$
which is known as the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. Now we have
$$x \cdot y=x^0 y^0 -\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y}=0 \; \Rightarrow \; x^0 y^0=\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y} \; \Rightarrow y^0=\frac{\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y}}{x^0} \qquad (*) $$
and
$$x \cdot x=(x^0)^2-\vec{x}^2>0 \; \Rightarrow \; |x^0|>|\vec{x}|.$$
This implies that ##|x^0|>0## and thus we can indeed use (*):
$$y \cdot y=(y^0)^2-\vec{y}^2=\frac{(\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y})^2}{(x^0)^2}-\vec{y}^2=\frac{(\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y})^2-(x^0)^2 \vec{y}^2}{(x^0)^2}.$$
Now use the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality above to get
$$y \cdot y \leq \frac{(|\vec{x}|^2 -(x^0)^2) \vec{y}^2}{(x^0)^2}.$$
If ##\vec{y} \neq 0##, then since ##x## is assumed to be timelike we get ##y \cdot y<0##, i.e., ##y## is indeed spacelike.

Now assume ##\vec{y}=0##, but then because of ##x \cdot y=0## we have ##x^0 y^0=\vec{x} \cdot \vec{y}=0##. Since ##x## was assumed to be timelike, this implies that then also ##y^0=0##, i.e., then ##y=0##, but we assumed ##y## not to be the null vector. So ##y## must be timelike. QED.

1. What is the difference between spacelike and timelike orthogonal?

Spacelike and timelike orthogonal are two types of orthogonal relationships in spacetime. Spacelike orthogonal means that the two vectors are perpendicular in space, while timelike orthogonal means that they are perpendicular in time.

2. How is the mathematical proof for spacelike and timelike orthogonal explained?

The mathematical proof for spacelike and timelike orthogonal is derived from the Minkowski metric, which describes the geometry of spacetime. It involves solving for the dot product of two vectors and determining whether the result is positive, negative, or zero.

3. What does it mean for two vectors to be orthogonal in spacetime?

When two vectors are orthogonal in spacetime, it means that they are perpendicular to each other in both space and time. This is a fundamental concept in special relativity and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects in motion.

4. Are there any real-world applications for understanding spacelike and timelike orthogonal?

Yes, understanding spacelike and timelike orthogonal is important in various fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. It helps in predicting and analyzing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, as well as in designing space-time diagrams and spacetime intervals.

5. Is the mathematical proof for spacelike and timelike orthogonal difficult to understand?

The mathematical proof for spacelike and timelike orthogonal can be complex for those who are not familiar with advanced mathematics and concepts in special relativity. However, with some basic understanding and guidance, it can be comprehensible to most people.