Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four-Velocity & Momentum

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    From Schutz's A First Course in General Relativity

"A particle of rest mass m moves with velocity v in the x direction of frame O. What are the components of the four-velocity and four-momentum?"

By definition [tex] \vec{U} = \vec{e}_{\bar{0} [/tex]

However, I don't see how he gets [tex] U^{\alpha} = \Lambda^{\alpha}_{\bar{\beta}}(\vec{e}_{\bar{0}})^{\bar{\beta}} = \Lambda^{\alpha}_{\bar{0}} [/tex]

Where [tex] \vec{U} [/tex] is the four-velocity vector, and [tex] U^{\alpha} [/tex] are its components.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2
    Does it help to write it all out explicity as a matrix equation?

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
    \gamma & \beta \gamma & 0 & 0\\
    \beta \gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 1
    \end{bmatrix}

\begin{bmatrix}1\\ 0\\ 0\\ 0\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}\gamma\\ \beta \gamma \\ 0\\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

where

[tex]\beta = \frac{v}{c}[/tex]

and

[tex]\gamma = \left ( 1 - \beta^2 \right )^{-1/2}.[/tex]

The components of [itex]U^\alpha[/itex] in reference frame O are the entries of the first column of the transformation matrix.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  4. Apr 9, 2010 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the reference frame in which the mass is at rest, its four-velocity is simply e0, i.e. the components are (1, 0, 0, 0). Now all you have to do is find the components of this same vector in a reference frame which is moving in the opposite direction with speed v. This is done by applying an appropriate Lorentz transformation.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. Apr 9, 2010 #4
    Thanks for the help guys! I completely understand it in matrix form - for some reason I struggle with Einstein notation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook