Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four waves formalism

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    hi every one
    can any one give me a course or a paper talking about the four waves formalism introduced by Landau and Lifshitz
    thanks for advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean the use of four-vectors in classical field theory in general, or is there something more specific you are thinking of? Is there a particular place in the Landau/Lifshitz series (most likely volume 2) that is giving a problem?

4. Dec 2, 2015 #3
    yes i mean the use of four-vectors in classical field theory in general , this formalism is used in the calculation of reflectance and transmission of monolayer multilayered structures

5. Dec 2, 2015 #4

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a nice little book, "Four-Tensors, the Mother Tongue of Classical Physics", by Reinhart Frosch, that introduces four-tensors and how they are used in classical field theory. It doesn't address how four-vectors are used in reflectance and transmission calculations, but it will help you get the hang of four-tensors if you are not used to them.

6. Dec 2, 2015 #5
    ok i'll check it
    thanks Geofleur i really appreciate your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook