1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Four waves formalism

1. Nov 30, 2015 #1
    hi every one
    can any one give me a course or a paper talking about the four waves formalism introduced by Landau and Lifshitz
    thanks for advance :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean the use of four-vectors in classical field theory in general, or is there something more specific you are thinking of? Is there a particular place in the Landau/Lifshitz series (most likely volume 2) that is giving a problem?

4. Dec 2, 2015 #3
    yes i mean the use of four-vectors in classical field theory in general , this formalism is used in the calculation of reflectance and transmission of monolayer multilayered structures

5. Dec 2, 2015 #4

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a nice little book, "Four-Tensors, the Mother Tongue of Classical Physics", by Reinhart Frosch, that introduces four-tensors and how they are used in classical field theory. It doesn't address how four-vectors are used in reflectance and transmission calculations, but it will help you get the hang of four-tensors if you are not used to them.

6. Dec 2, 2015 #5
    ok i'll check it
    thanks Geofleur i really appreciate your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook