1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier analysis problem. please help

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let S(R) be the schwartz space, M(R) be the set of moderately decreasing functions, F be the fourier transform

Suppose F:S(R)->S(R) is an isometry, ie is satisfies ||F(g)|| = ||g|| for every g in S(R). Show that there exists a unique extension G: M(R)->M(R) which is an isometry, ie a function G: M(R)->M(R) so that for any g in S(R) we have G(g) = F(g), and for any g in M(R) we have ||G(g)|| = ||g||.

hint: You may use that for any g in M(R) there exists a sequence {g_n} subset in S(R) such that ||g_n - g|| converges to 0

note: make sure you prove that both that G exists, and that it is unique

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i was thinking of showing that F is 1-1, onto, and linear, just to expand my options. also using the hint to show that there exists F(h_k) converging to F(f), and then ||h_k - f|| converges to 0, and then defining h_k(t) as equal to f(t) for all |t| < k, and 0 otherwise

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2009 #2
    i heard that to do it for the L2, you extend it by density, but i dont know what that means

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook