1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier analysis problem

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    Hello everyone(my first post here), I hope I have posted in the right section...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given [tex]x[n][/tex] is a discrete stable(absolutely summable) sequence and its continuous Fourier transform [tex]X(e^{j\omega})[/tex] having the following properties:

[tex]x[n]=0, \ \ \ \forall n<1[/tex] and

[tex]Re\{X(e^{j\omega })\}=\frac{3}{2\cos \omega -\frac{5}{2}}, \ \ \ \forall \omega \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

find [tex]\inline x[/tex] as good as possible(I don't know how to state this any better, basically one should find x if possible, if not a sequence that resembles x as good as possible)

2. Relevant equations

[tex]X(e^{j\omega})=\sum_{n\in \mathbb{Z}}^{ } x[n]e^{-j\omega n}, \ \ \ \forall \omega \in \mathbb{R };[/tex]

[tex]x[n]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} X(e^{j\omega})e^{j\omega n}d\omega,\ \ \ \forall n \in \mathbb{Z }.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is straightforward to show that if

[tex]x_{e}[n] = \frac{x[n]+\overline{x[-n]}}{2}, \ \ \forall n \in \mathbb{Z}, \ \textup{then} \ X_{e}(e^{j\omega})= Re\{X(e^{j\omega})\}, \ \forall \omega \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

Given the fact that [tex]x[n]=0, \forall n<1[/tex] by finding [tex]x_{e}[n] [/tex] we can also find [tex]x[n][/tex]

By applying the inverse fourier transform of [tex]X_{e}(e^{j\omega})[/tex] we obtain:

[tex]x_{e}[n] = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\frac{3}{2\cos \omega -\frac{5}{2}}\cdot e^{j\omega n}d\omega[/tex]

And at this point I'm stuck, i have no idea how to evaluate that integral(I've tried the usual tricks but none seem to work). Maybe the approach is not the best one, I don't know.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    Any ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook