Finding x[n] from Continuous Fourier Transform with Given Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the discrete sequence x[n] given its continuous Fourier transform, X(e^{j\omega}). The properties of x[n] and X(e^{j\omega}) are given, and the goal is to find x as accurately as possible. The conversation also mentions using the inverse Fourier transform and a specific approach to finding x. However, the speaker is stuck and requests advice on how to evaluate the integral in their approach.
emanuel_hr
Hello everyone(my first post here), I hope I have posted in the right section...

Homework Statement

Given [tex]x[n][/tex] is a discrete stable(absolutely summable) sequence and its continuous Fourier transform [tex]X(e^{j\omega})[/tex] having the following properties:

[tex]x[n]=0, \ \ \ \forall n<1[/tex] and

[tex]Re\{X(e^{j\omega })\}=\frac{3}{2\cos \omega -\frac{5}{2}}, \ \ \ \forall \omega \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

find [tex]\inline x[/tex] as good as possible(I don't know how to state this any better, basically one should find x if possible, if not a sequence that resembles x as good as possible)

Homework Equations

[tex]X(e^{j\omega})=\sum_{n\in \mathbb{Z}}^{ } x[n]e^{-j\omega n}, \ \ \ \forall \omega \in \mathbb{R };[/tex]

[tex]x[n]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} X(e^{j\omega})e^{j\omega n}d\omega,\ \ \ \forall n \in \mathbb{Z }.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It is straightforward to show that if

[tex]x_{e}[n] = \frac{x[n]+\overline{x[-n]}}{2}, \ \ \forall n \in \mathbb{Z}, \ \textup{then} \ X_{e}(e^{j\omega})= Re\{X(e^{j\omega})\}, \ \forall \omega \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

Given the fact that [tex]x[n]=0, \forall n<1[/tex] by finding [tex]x_{e}[n] [/tex] we can also find [tex]x[n][/tex]

By applying the inverse Fourier transform of [tex]X_{e}(e^{j\omega})[/tex] we obtain:

[tex]x_{e}[n] = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi}\frac{3}{2\cos \omega -\frac{5}{2}}\cdot e^{j\omega n}d\omega[/tex]

And at this point I'm stuck, i have no idea how to evaluate that integral(I've tried the usual tricks but none seem to work). Maybe the approach is not the best one, I don't know.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

1. What is Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to break down complex signals or functions into simpler components. It involves representing a signal as a combination of sine and cosine waves.

2. What is the purpose of Fourier analysis?

The purpose of Fourier analysis is to understand and analyze the frequency components present in a signal or function. It is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

3. How is Fourier analysis performed?

Fourier analysis is performed by using the Fourier transform, which converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. This allows for the visualization and manipulation of the frequency components present in a signal.

4. What are the applications of Fourier analysis?

Fourier analysis has a wide range of applications, including signal processing, image processing, audio and video compression, speech recognition, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering.

5. What are the limitations of Fourier analysis?

One limitation of Fourier analysis is that it assumes a stationary signal, meaning that the frequency components do not change over time. It also cannot accurately analyze signals with sharp edges or discontinuities. Additionally, it may not be suitable for non-linear systems or signals with complex behaviors.