1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier coefficients

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Fourier coefficients

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For [itex] f \in C^{2\pi}\cap C^1[-\pi,\pi] [/itex], I have to show that

[tex] \sum_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}|c_n(f)| < \infty [/tex]

where c_n(f) is the Fourier coefficient of f;

[tex] c_n(f) = (f, e_n) = \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(t)e^{-int}\,dt [/tex]

[itex] f \in C^{2\pi} [/itex] means f continuous and that [itex] f(-\pi) = f(\pi)[/itex].
    Hint: Use Cauchy-Schwartz (CS) inequality.

([itex] e_n = e^{int} [/itex])

3. The attempt at a solution

I just can't seem to use CS in a useful way, I keep running into dead ends:

It is easily shown that [itex] c_n(f') = inc_n(f) [/itex]. So by using this and splitting the sum up in 2 parts and using that [itex] e_{-n} = \bar{e}_{n} [/itex], I get

[tex] \sum_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}|c_n(f)| = c_0(f) + \sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{|(f',e_n)| - |(f',\bar{e}_n)|}{n} [/tex]

Using triangle inequality I can get

[tex] |(f',e_n)| - |(f',\bar{e}_n)| \leq |(f', e_n-\bar{e}_n)| =2|(f', \sin(nt))|[/tex].

Even here CS won't be useful. Is there a different an easier approach?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What theorems do you know? Try looking at Parseval and its proof.

4. Jan 22, 2008 #3
    I kept looking at the wrong inner product to use CS on, that is that inner product of [itex]L_2[/itex], but I should look at the inner product of [itex]\ell_2[/itex] space. So by using that (replacing the minus sign with + in the afore mentioned equation for c_n(f))

[tex] \sum_{n\in\mathbb{Z}}|c_n(f)| \leq c_0(f) + \sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{|(f',e_n)| + |(f',\bar{e}_n)|}{n} [/tex]

and then using that for [itex]|(f',\bar{e}_n)|/n[/itex] (and the same for [itex]|(f',e_n)|/n[/itex]) we get the summation by CS on l_2 innerproduct to be

[tex] \sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}|(f',e_{-n})| \leq \left(\sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}\right)^{1/2}\left(\sum_{1}^{\infty} |(f',e_{-n})|^2 \right)^{1/2} [/tex]

Were the [itex]C^2 = \sum \frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] is convergent. Before I can use Parseval's theorem, I need to extend the last sum to go from -infinity to +infinity so (1 more inequality), so I get (f', e_n) instead of (f',e_{-n}),

[tex] \sum_{1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n}|(f',e_{-n})| \leq C\left(\sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} |(f',e_{n})|^2 \right)^{1/2} = C\|f'\| < \infty [/tex]

Is this correct, or have I done some 'illegal' steps? If I haven't then the problem is solved.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?