1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier coefficients

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've reached a relation but then I need to obtain the coefficients ##A_m## and ##B_m##'s, those are the only unknowns.
    Here's the expression: ##\sum _{m=0}^\infty a^m [A_m \cos (m \theta ) + B_m \sin (m \theta )]=T_0\sin ^3 \theta##.

2. Relevant equations
    Fourier coefficients.
    Result is probably ##B_1=\frac{3T_0}{4a}## and ##B_3=-\frac{T_0}{4a^3}##.
    All the other coefficients being 0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I am not really sure. I have something of the form ##\sum _{m=0}^\infty a^m [A_m \cos (m \theta ) + B_m \sin (m \theta )]=f(\theta) ##.
    So in order to get let's say the ##A_m## first, I guess I must multiplicate both sides by ##cos (m \theta )## and integrate from ... 0 to ##2 \pi##?
    I'd get ##\sum _{m=0}^\infty a^m A_m \int _0^{2\pi } \cos ^2 (m \theta ) d \theta + \sum _{m=0}^\infty a^m B_m \int _0^{2\pi } \sin (m \theta ) \cos (m\theta ) d \theta=\int _0 ^{2\pi } f(\theta ) d \theta##. Where an integral vanishes.
    I'd be left with ##\sum _{m=0}^\infty a^m A_m \int _0^{2\pi } \cos ^2 (m \theta ) d \theta =\int _0 ^{2\pi } f(\theta ) d \theta##.
    I don't really know how to evaluate those integrals nor how to isolate ##A_m##.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can't multiply by ##\cos m\theta## because ##m## is your dummy index. Also, you forgot to multiply the righthand side. You can multiply by ##\cos n\theta## and then do the integrals. Only the term with n=m will survive.

But for this problem, it's probably better to use trig identities to express ##\sin^3 \theta## in terms of sines and cosines without exponents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook