Understanding Fourier Coefficients in the Fourier Transform of a Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier coefficients of a given function with a period of 1. By extending the function periodically and using the complex form of the Fourier coefficients, the formula can be simplified to an integral over the entire real line. The given bound on the function helps ensure convergence for the Fourier transform.
member 428835
Homework Statement
Let ##f:\mathbb R \to \mathbb C## be a smooth function such that ##|f| < C/(1+|x|^2)## for some ##C##. Put ##\phi(x) = \sum_{n = -\infty}^\infty f(x+n)##. Find Fourier coefficients of ##\phi## on [0,1] in terms of the Fourier transform of ##f##.
Relevant Equations
Fourier transform ##\hat f## of ##f## is ##\hat f(k) = 1/\sqrt{2\pi}\int_\mathbb R f(x) e^{-i k x}##
Hi PF!

Unsure how to begin. Fourier transform of ##f## I've given as an equation. I'm not sure what is meant by Fourier coefficients. Fourier coefficients of what?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like it is asking you to find the Fourier coefficients of ##\phi(x)##. Fourier coefficients are found by integrating the multiple of a function ##f(x)## and ##sin## or ##cos( \frac {2\pi rt}{T})## with respect to time and where ##r## is the order number of the coefficient. So ##r=4## would be the fourth harmonic.

Usually there are integration tables for different functions that help.

First, note that you don't have a formula for ##f(x)##, just an inequality that probably helps convergence. So you aren't going to do any integrations. So you have $$\phi(x) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty f(x+k),~x\in [0,1]$$When you are given a function defined on ##[0,1]## and asked to find its Fourier coefficients, I guess you would assume its period is ##1## and extend it periodically. So the complex form of the Fourier coefficients would be$$
c_n =\frac 1 2\int_{-\frac 1 2}^{\frac 1 2} \sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty f(x+k)e^{-i n \pi x}~dx$$Now, I haven't worked with this stuff for years, so you should check my formulas. I am guessing that if you swap the sum and integral and make appropriate variable changes you might be able to make it look like a Fourier transform. I haven't worked it but that's what I would try. Good luck with it.

Likes member 428835
LCKurtz said:
First, note that you don't have a formula for ##f(x)##, just an inequality that probably helps convergence. So you aren't going to do any integrations. So you have $$\phi(x) = \sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty f(x+k),~x\in [0,1]$$When you are given a function defined on ##[0,1]## and asked to find its Fourier coefficients, I guess you would assume its period is ##1## and extend it periodically. So the complex form of the Fourier coefficients would be$$
c_n =\frac 1 2\int_{-\frac 1 2}^{\frac 1 2} \sum_{k=-\infty}^\infty f(x+k)e^{-i n \pi x}~dx$$Now, I haven't worked with this stuff for years, so you should check my formulas. I am guessing that if you swap the sum and integral and make appropriate variable changes you might be able to make it look like a Fourier transform. I haven't worked it but that's what I would try. Good luck with it.
Thanks for the responses everyone, and especially this insight!

So to summarize; since we are given a function ##[0,1]##, the period must be 1. If we extend the function periodically, the complex form of the Fourier coefficients is
$$ c_k = \frac 1 2\int_{-\frac 1 2}^{\frac 1 2} \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty f(x+n)e^{-i k \pi x}\,dx\\ = \frac 1 2 \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\frac 1 2}^{\frac 1 2} f(x+n)e^{-i k \pi x}\,dx. $$
Let ##u = x + n##. Then
$$ c_k = \frac 1 2 \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\frac 1 2 + n}^{\frac 1 2 + n} f(u)e^{-i k \pi (u-n)}\,du\\ = \frac 1 2 \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty e^{i k \pi n} \hat f(k) : \hat f(k) \equiv \int_{-\frac 1 2 + n}^{\frac 1 2 + n} f(u)e^{-i k \pi u}\,du. $$
Note that ##\hat f(k)## is actually the definition of a Fourier transform of ##f(k)##. But now I'm not really sure what to do. Any ideas?

What happens if you write out a few terms of$$
\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\frac 1 2 +n}^{\frac 1 2 + n}$$and combine the integrals? Starting at ##0## and working both ways.

Likes member 428835
LCKurtz said:
What happens if you write out a few terms of$$
\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \int_{-\frac 1 2 +n}^{\frac 1 2 + n}$$and combine the integrals? Starting at ##0## and working both ways.
The sum looks something like
$$
\frac 1 2\exp\left( -2 i k \pi \right) \int_{-5/2}^{-3/2} f(u)\exp(-i k \pi u)\, du + \frac 1 2\exp\left( -i k \pi \right) \int_{-3/2}^{-1/2} f(u)\exp(-i k \pi u)\, du+\\
\frac 1 2 \int_{-1/2}^{-1/2} f(u)\exp(-i k \pi u)\, du + \frac 1 2\exp\left( i k \pi \right) \int_{1/2}^{3/2} f(u)\exp(-i k \pi u)\, du + \\\frac 1 2\exp\left( i 2 k \pi \right) \int_{3/2}^{5/2} f(u)\exp(-i k \pi u)\, du =\\
\frac 1 2 \int_{-\infty}^\infty f(u) \exp(-i k \pi u)\, du
$$

since ##\exp(i k \pi n) = 1##.

So doesn't that pretty much solve your problem? That's a multiple of ##\hat f(k)## isn't it? Do you see why the given bound on ##|f(x)|## helps you to get convergence for ##\hat f##? And you probably better check your advanced calculus book to see whether swapping the sum and integral was legit.

Likes member 428835
Thanks a ton! Yep, everything makes good sense. I appreciate it!

1. What is the Fourier Transform of a function?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It converts a function from its original domain (usually time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain.

2. What are Fourier Coefficients?

Fourier Coefficients are the complex numbers that represent the amplitude and phase of each frequency component in the Fourier Transform of a function. They are used to reconstruct the original function from its frequency domain representation.

3. How do Fourier Coefficients relate to the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Coefficients are the output of the Fourier Transform. They represent the contribution of each frequency component to the original function. The Fourier Transform is essentially a method for calculating these coefficients.

4. Why are Fourier Coefficients important?

Fourier Coefficients are important because they allow us to analyze and manipulate a function in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights and applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

5. How do you interpret Fourier Coefficients?

Fourier Coefficients can be interpreted as the strength and phase of each frequency component in a function. The magnitude of the coefficient represents the amplitude of the frequency component, while the angle represents the phase shift of that component. The coefficients with larger magnitudes have a greater influence on the overall shape of the function.