Fourier integral representation of function

In summary, the person is seeking help with a problem and has already received an answer from Wolfram Alpha but is unsure of how to get to that answer. They are also stuck on how to get to the denominator w^2-1 and sin(pi*w). They are advised to provide more information about the problem and their attempted solution, and to double check their calculations and ask for help from their teacher or classmates if needed.
izen

Homework Statement

20130217_095022.jpg

Screen_Shot_2013_02_17_at_10_00_51_AM.png

How can I get to that answer?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck don't know how to get to the answer that I got from wolframalpha. there is no solution there unfortunately.

I know how to get to that denominator w^2-1 but I don't know how to get to sin(pi*w)Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for reaching out for help with your question! To get to the answer, it's important to first understand the problem and the steps involved in solving it. Can you provide more information about the context of the problem and what you have tried so far? This will help me better understand where you may be getting stuck and how I can assist you in finding the solution. Additionally, it's always helpful to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations and formulas. If you're still having trouble, I would recommend reaching out to your teacher or classmates for further assistance. Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll be able to find the solution!

What is the Fourier integral representation of a function?

The Fourier integral representation of a function is a mathematical tool used to express a function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with varying amplitudes and frequencies. It is a continuous version of the Fourier series, which is used for periodic functions.

How is the Fourier integral representation different from the Fourier series?

The Fourier integral representation is used for non-periodic functions, while the Fourier series is used for periodic functions. The Fourier series has a discrete set of frequencies, while the Fourier integral has a continuous range of frequencies. Additionally, the Fourier integral has a continuous amplitude spectrum, while the Fourier series has a discrete amplitude spectrum.

What is the purpose of using the Fourier integral representation?

The Fourier integral representation is used to break down a function into its individual frequency components. This allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of the function and can be useful in applications such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression.

Can any function be represented using the Fourier integral?

Yes, any function that satisfies certain mathematical conditions can be represented using the Fourier integral. These conditions include being continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities and a finite number of maxima and minima.

How is the Fourier integral calculated?

The Fourier integral is calculated using an integral formula that involves the function and its frequency components. This integral can be evaluated using various mathematical techniques, such as integration by parts or using tables of integrals.