How do dark spot and tiny hole filters affect Fourier optics images?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different filters in a Fourier optics experiment. The dark spot filter is used to eliminate high-frequency light, resulting in a clear image on the screen, while the tiny hole filter only allows low frequency light to pass through. Theoretical understanding of the filtering process is also mentioned.
George444fg
Homework Statement
George44fg
Relevant Equations
Fourier Transform Equations
I was assigned an experiment of Fouriers optics where I have to use different Filters. One of them was the dark spot and the tiny hole. As of my understanding, for tiny hole, we cut off all high-frequency light related to diffraction and refraction, thus using only the low freuency part of the initial image. The result would be a limited yet very clear image on the screen. While for the black spot we cut off the concentrated beam and project only the high frequency diffracted and refracted beams. Thus we get a rather unclear image? Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
How about you run the experiment and then any problems or results you have can be discussed if needed?

Tom.G said:
How about you run the experiment and then any problems or results you have can be discussed if needed?
I've already done the experiment, and everything is fine. However, I would like to be sure about the theoretical understanding of the filtering process.

Likes Tom.G
George444fg said:
Homework Statement:: George44fg
Relevant Equations:: Fourier Transform Equations

...for tiny hole, we cut off all high-frequency light related to diffraction and refraction, thus using only the low freuency part of the initial image.

...the black spot we cut off the concentrated beam and project only the high frequency diffracted and refracted beams.

I agree!

Tom.G said:
I agree!
I thank you a lot.

Likes Tom.G

1. How do dark spot and tiny hole filters affect the resolution of Fourier optics images?

Dark spot and tiny hole filters can significantly improve the resolution of Fourier optics images. By blocking out certain frequencies of light, these filters can enhance the contrast and sharpness of the image, making it easier to distinguish fine details.

2. Do dark spot and tiny hole filters affect the overall quality of Fourier optics images?

Yes, dark spot and tiny hole filters can affect the overall quality of Fourier optics images. While they can improve resolution, they can also introduce artifacts and distortions in the image. It is important to carefully select and calibrate these filters to minimize any negative impact on image quality.

3. How do dark spot and tiny hole filters affect the signal-to-noise ratio of Fourier optics images?

Dark spot and tiny hole filters can improve the signal-to-noise ratio of Fourier optics images by reducing the amount of background noise in the image. This can help to enhance the clarity and accuracy of the image, particularly in low light conditions.

4. Can dark spot and tiny hole filters be used to selectively filter out specific features in Fourier optics images?

Yes, dark spot and tiny hole filters can be used to selectively filter out specific features in Fourier optics images. By choosing filters with specific sizes and shapes, it is possible to target and block out certain frequencies of light, allowing for more precise control over the image.

5. How do dark spot and tiny hole filters affect the diffraction patterns in Fourier optics images?

Dark spot and tiny hole filters can significantly alter the diffraction patterns in Fourier optics images. By blocking out certain frequencies of light, these filters can change the distribution and intensity of the diffraction pattern, which can impact the overall appearance and clarity of the image.