1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Optics

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to figure out the input/output relationship for Fourier Optics:

If we have a plane at z = 0 with the complex amplitude f(x,y) = U(x,y,0) and the complex amplitude at the output g(x,y) = U(x,y,d) at z = d.

My question is if f(x,y) = 1, how do I explicitly determine what g(x,y) is? My book gives the following integral (among others)

g(x,y) = [tex]H_0 \int_{-\inf}^{\inf} \int_{-\inf}^{\inf} F(v_x, v_y) exp( j \pi \lambda d (v_x^2 + v_y^2)) exp(-j2 \pi (v_x x + v_y y)) dv_x dv_y[/tex]

I guess my main problem is that I'm not even sure what g(x,y) is supposed to look like, I know the Fourier transform of f(x,y) -> F(vx,vy) = delta(v_x) delta(v_y), but I'm not really sure what to do next. How do I integrate the two exponentials?

Does anyone have any textbook suggestions for this? Goodman doesn't seem to go in detail on this topic and I can't really find any other examples.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2010 #2
    I was able to solve the problem,

Thanks for looking

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook