1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier problem

1. Apr 10, 2006 #1
    I am trying to solve this fourier problem where I have to integrate
    ∫f(x) * exp(-i§x) dx from -∞ to ∞ , where f(x) = exp(-sgn(x))
    I tried breaking the function into two pieces where x is from -∞ to 0 and from 0 to ∞ where f(x) would then be exp(x) and exp(-x) and integrating two functions, but that didn't seem to be working. The the other way I can think of is trying to integrate
    exp(-i§x) * exp(-sgn(x)), but I'm not sure if that is possible. Could anyone please give me a hint?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

What is § ? a constant, an operator, or a function?
  4. Apr 10, 2006 #3
    it is (n*PI)/L ,where 2L is one period which I just treat as a constant
  5. Apr 10, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

L is one period of what? If your function, f, is periodic, then you need only integrate over one period. In that case, you are talking about a Fourier Series, not a Fourier transform and probably would find it easier to use [itex]sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}t)[/itex] and [tex]cos(\frac{n\pi}{L}t)[/itex] rather than complex exponentials.

If is not periodic, then you need the Fourier transform [itex]\int_{-infty}^\infty f(x)e^{-ixt}dt[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?