Solving Fourier Question: -\pi < x< 0 & 0 < x < \pi

• Thread starter manenbu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, the function given has two conditions for its domain. The first is -\pi < x < 0 and the second is 0 < x < \pi. The attempt at a solution involved using the formula \frac{3}{2}+\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{n}\sin{nx}. However, according to the answers in the exercise sheet, the correct formula is \frac{3}{2}+\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{2n-1}\sin{(2n-1)x}. The difference is due to overlooking a lower limit
manenbu

Homework Statement

function is:
[tex]1, -\pi < x< 0[/tex]
[tex]2, 0 < x < \pi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I get is this:

[tex]\frac{3}{2}+\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{n}\sin{nx}[/tex]

According to the answers in the exercise sheet, it should be:
[tex]\frac{3}{2}+\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{2n-1}\sin{(2n-1)x}[/tex]

I don't understand why this is true. The 2n-1 hints that I should've got a [itex]\pi/2[/itex] somewhere inside the trig functions in the intergal, but I can't see where this is coming from.
Can anyone help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
manenbu said:

Homework Statement

function is:
[tex]1, -\pi < x< 0[/tex]
[tex]2, 0 < x < \pi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I get is this:

[tex]\frac{3}{2}+\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n}{n}\sin{nx}[/tex]

According to the answers in the exercise sheet, it should be:
[tex]\frac{3}{2}+\frac{2}{\pi}\sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{1}{2n-1}\sin{(2n-1)x}[/tex]

I don't understand why this is true. The 2n-1 hints that I should've got a [itex]\pi/2[/itex] somewhere inside the trig functions in the intergal, but I can't see where this is coming from.
Can anyone help me here?

That is giving you every other term. You should probably have something like (-1)n-1 in the numerator which would drop out every other term. Maybe you overlooked a lower limit in your integral.

Yes, apparently 2-1 became 0 in my first calculation. I got it correct now. Thanks!

What is the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It can be used to analyze and solve various problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

What is the purpose of solving Fourier questions?

The purpose of solving Fourier questions is to find the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions that make up the Fourier series for a given periodic function. This can help in analyzing and understanding the behavior of the function.

What is the range of values for x in the given Fourier question?

The given Fourier question has two intervals: -π < x < 0 and 0 < x < π. This means that the values of x can range from negative pi to zero, and from zero to positive pi.

How do you determine the coefficients for the Fourier series?

The coefficients for the Fourier series can be determined by using the Fourier series formula and integrating the given function over one period. This will result in a series of trigonometric terms, and the coefficients can be found by comparing the terms to the general form of the Fourier series.

What are some practical applications of solving Fourier questions?

Solving Fourier questions has many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis. It can also be used to solve differential equations and study the behavior of various physical systems.