Fourier Series 2: Solving Homework Problems

In summary, the conversation involved a discussion about solving an integral when n=0 and the role of the 2 in the denominator in the expression -1^(n-1)/2. The experts explained the correct way to calculate the integral and the role of the 2 in the denominator, as well as provided a link to a graph of sinx/x and alternative methods for solving the integral.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-06-14at42751AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how if n = 0 then the answer is 1/2. By my reckoning

1/pi * sin nx/n =

1/pi * 0 = 0

I also don't see where the 2 comes from when sin(npi/2) first shows up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:
I don't see how if n = 0 then the answer is 1/2. By my reckoning

1/pi * sin nx/n =

1/pi * 0 = 0
If n=0, you should calculate the integral differently. Also lim x->0 sin(x)/x is not 0, so you get the correct result even if you just do take the limit.

robertjford80 said:
I also don't see where the 2 comes from when sin(npi/2) first shows up.
The upper limit substitution is always zero. You get pi/2 from the lower limit.

robertjford80 said:
I'm also having a difficult time converting sin(npi/2) into -1^(n-1)/2. where does the 2 come from in the denominator?
It comes from the fact that then they are equal... Work it out. Plug in values n=1,3,5,... and see how sine behaves, then see what the 2 does in the denominator.

clamtrox said:
If n=0, you should calculate the integral differently. Also lim x->0 sin(x)/x is not 0, so you get the correct result even if you just do take the limit.
I still don't get this.

Also lim x->0 sin(x)/x is not 0 - That's correct, but 1/pi * sin 0/0 = 1/pi * 1/0 = undefined.

The upper limit substitution is always zero. You get pi/2 from the lower limit.
Thanks, I understand now.

It comes from the fact that then they are equal... Work it out. Plug in values n=1,3,5,... and see how sine behaves, then see what the 2 does in the denominator.
I was able to get this before you answered.

robertjford80 said:
I still don't get this.

Also lim x->0 sin(x)/x is not 0 - That's correct, but 1/pi * sin 0/0 = 1/pi * 1/0 = undefined.

No it's not.

Do the n's cancel? If not, then 1/pi * sin nx/n must be 1/pi * 1/0

If yes, then 1/pi * sin pi/2 = 1/pi

robertjford80 said:
I still don't get this.

Look at the graph of sinx/x. It is a continuous and differentiable function at x=0.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=graph++sinx/x

Do the n's cancel? If not, then 1/pi * sin nx/n must be 1/pi * 1/0

n's don't cancel. In integrals, the points that you are evaluating is the limit of the function at those values.

<deleted>

even if sin x/x is continuous and differentiable I still don't see how they got 1/pi * pi/2

You are trying to find,

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{\pi/2}^{\pi} cos(nx) dx[/tex]

At n=0,

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi }\int_{\pi/2}^{\pi} cos(0)dx = \frac{1}{\pi }\int_{\pi/2}^{\pi}1\cdot dx[/tex]

What do you get if you integrate this??

For [itex]n=0[/itex] you have

[itex]\dfrac{1}{\pi}\displaystyle\int\limits_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi} \cos (0 \cdot x) dx = \dfrac{1}{\pi}\displaystyle\int\limits_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi} 1 dx = \dfrac{1}{\pi} \cdot \dfrac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

Edit: Oh, Infinitum was faster :) Sorry

[tex] \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{\pi/2}^\pi \cos(0x) dx = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_{\pi/2}^\pi dx = \frac{1}{\pi}(\pi - \frac{\pi}{2}) [/tex]

Alternatively, you can take the limit:
[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(n \pi/2)}{n \pi} = \frac{1}{2}\lim_{n\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(n \pi/2)}{(n \pi/ 2)} = \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

i understand now

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How do I solve homework problems involving Fourier series?

To solve homework problems involving Fourier series, you can use various techniques such as finding the coefficients, using trigonometric identities, and applying the properties of Fourier series.

3. What are the applications of Fourier series?

Fourier series has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is used to analyze and model periodic phenomena and can also be applied in image and sound compression.

4. Can Fourier series be used for non-periodic functions?

No, Fourier series can only be used for periodic functions. However, there are extensions of Fourier series, such as the Fourier transform, that can be used for non-periodic functions.

5. How do I know if a function can be represented by a Fourier series?

A function can be represented by a Fourier series if it is periodic and satisfies certain conditions, such as being piecewise continuous and having a finite number of discontinuities. Generally, if a function can be expressed as a sum of sines and cosines, it can be represented by a Fourier series.