1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series Analysis

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that provided that m and n are arbitrary integers, the two functions f(t) = sin nt and g(t) = cos mt are orthogonal over the interval (0,2[tex]\pi[/tex]). Explain the significance of this result in Fourier series analysis. Hint: you may find the following trigonometric identity useful 2sin a cos b = sin(a+b) - sin (a-b)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int[/tex] f(t) g(t) dt
    [tex]\int[/tex] sin nt cos mt dt
    [tex]\int[/tex] 0.5( sin(n+m)t - sin(n-m)t)dt
    0.5[ [tex]\frac{cos(n+m)t}{n+m}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{cos(n-m)t}{n-m}[/tex] ]

put (0,2[tex]\pi[/tex]) into (n,m) respectively (sorry not good with code thing).

After subistion the final answer end up being

t over 2[tex]\pi[/tex]

this is my working out so far but what should I write about it under fourier analysis

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't put (0,2*pi) into (n,m). You set t=2*pi and t=0 into the anti derivative and subtract the results. There's no t in the final answer. What's cos(k*2*pi) where k is an integer?

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3
    so in that case does it become

[ cos 2*pi*(n+m) / n + m ] - [ cos 2*pi*(n-m) / n - m ]

?

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It becomes that minus [ cos 0*(n+m) / n + m ] - [ cos 0*(n-m) / n - m ]. Haven't you done definite integrals before?

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5
    yeah sorry I made a mistake cancelling that because cos 0 = 1 and forget that the denominator where different

so it becomes

[ cos 2*pi*(n+m) / n + m ] - [ cos 2*pi*(n-m) / n - m ] - [1 / n + m] - [ 1 / n - m]

right?

7. Aug 25, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would write that as cos(2*pi*(n+m))/(n+m) - cos(2*pi*(n-m))/(n-m) - [(1/(n+m)-1/(n-m)]. Use enough parentheses and brackets so your meaning is clear. But, yes, I think you mean the right thing. Now what's cos(k*2*pi) where k is an integer?

8. Aug 25, 2009 #7
    the integral of cos(k*2*pi) is -sin(k*2*pi)/(2*pi)

9. Aug 25, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not asking you what the integral is. I'm asking you what the value of cos(k*2*pi) is where k is an 'integer' - not 'integral'. If k=1, that's cos(2*pi), if k=2, that's cos(4*pi), if k=3 that's cos(6*pi) etc etc. I'm asking you this because (n+m) and (n-m) are integers.

10. Aug 25, 2009 #9
    oh well in that case cos(k*2*pi) = 1

11. Aug 25, 2009 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right, so what's the value of the integral now that you know what all the terms are?

12. Aug 25, 2009 #11
    I think it's [(1/(n+m)-1/(n-m)] - [(1/(n+m)-1/(n-m)] which I think cancels out?

13. Aug 25, 2009 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it's zero. That means f(t)=sin(nt) and g(t)=cos(mt) are orthogonal over the interval [0,2*pi] since the integral of f(t)*g(t) over that interval is zero. There is a minor technical point. What happens if n=m or n=(-m)? Then your expression has a zero in the denominator. Can you see why that's not really a problem?

14. Aug 25, 2009 #13
    yeah I think so, they still cancel out even though 1/0 tends to infinity

15. Aug 25, 2009 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's dangerous reasoning. The point is that if e.g. n=m, then sin((n-m)*t)=sin(0*t)=0. The cos((n-m)t)/(n-m) term isn't in the antiderivative. If you are going to be formal about the proof the you might want to make those special cases.

16. Aug 25, 2009 #15
    ahhh I see. Thanks you been really helpful

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook