Troubleshooting Fourier Series Analysis for Periodic Functions | Help Needed

In summary, the speaker is struggling to determine the a and b coefficients of a periodic function and has been unsuccessful since 10AM. They have correctly determined that all a coefficients are zero and that the function has half-wave odd symmetry. However, they are struggling to find the odd b coefficients and their attempted integral and equation are incorrect. They provide the correct equations for finding the coefficients and suggest evaluating the integrals for each coefficient.
cybernoodles
Hi All,

I'm having a lot of trouble determining the a and b coefficients of the Fourier Series. I am given the following periodic function below and am asked to determine the coefficients. I am usually off by a factor of 2 or 1/2, if that means anything. It could be my bounds or my value for f(t). I was able to determine the function has half-wave odd symmetry and thus able to conclude that all of the a's are zero for the first four coefficients, and b=0, but I failed at finding the odd b coefficients. Here is the integral and equation I used, which are incorrect I guess:

(32/T)*(Integral_UpperB=(3T/8)_LowerB=(T/8)) of sin(nwt)dt

and this yielded the expression: (32/(2*pi*n))* (-cos(6*pi*n/8) + cos(2*pi*n/8))

Forgive me, Latex isn't working at the moment. Any help is appreciated. Been struggling with this since 10AM. Thanks!

Attachments

• C.jpg
    C.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
</code>For the a coefficients, we have:a_0 = 1/T * Integral_UpperB=T_LowerB=0 of (f(t)) dt a_n = 1/T * Integral_UpperB=T_LowerB=0 of (f(t) * cos(nwt)) dt For the b coefficients, we have:b_n = 1/T * Integral_UpperB=T_LowerB=0 of (f(t) * sin(nwt)) dt The period of your function is T = 8. Therefore, for the a_0 coefficient, you have:a_0 = 1/8 * Integral_UpperB=8_LowerB=0 of (f(t)) dt For the a_n coefficients, you have:a_n = 1/8 * Integral_UpperB=8_LowerB=0 of (f(t) * cos(nwt)) dt For the b_n coefficients, you have:b_n = 1/8 * Integral_UpperB=8_LowerB=0 of (f(t) * sin(nwt)) dt You can then evaluate the integrals for each of the a_n and b_n coefficients. The a_0 coefficient is simply the average value of the function f(t).Hope this helps!

What is Fourier Series Analysis?

Fourier Series Analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a periodic signal into a sum of simple sinusoidal functions. It is named after Joseph Fourier, a French mathematician who first introduced the concept in the 19th century.

Why is Fourier Series Analysis important?

Fourier Series Analysis is important because it allows us to represent complex signals in terms of simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand them. It is also widely used in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing to solve various problems.

What are the applications of Fourier Series Analysis?

Fourier Series Analysis has many applications in different fields. In engineering, it is used for filtering and signal processing. In physics, it is used to study wave phenomena and vibrations. It is also used in image and sound compression, as well as in solving differential equations and boundary value problems.

What is the difference between Fourier Series Analysis and Fourier Transform?

The main difference between Fourier Series Analysis and Fourier Transform is that the former is used for periodic signals, while the latter is used for non-periodic signals. Fourier Transform also gives us a continuous spectrum, while Fourier Series Analysis gives a discrete spectrum.

Are there any limitations to Fourier Series Analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to Fourier Series Analysis. It can only be applied to periodic signals, and the signal must be continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. It also assumes that the signal is composed of a finite number of simple sinusoidal functions, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.