1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier Series and Absorbtion questions?

Tags:
  1. Oct 7, 2013 #1
    I have to do a science fair, and I am really interested in physics. I spent forever trying to think of a topic, and I got myself stuck doing something with waves. After weeks of thinking of an expirement that will compete well without being extremely difficult, I came up with one.

Does using the Fourier Series effect a wave's ability to penetrate objects?

I know that has to be worded differently.

But my questions are,

- Can you use the fourier series on light waves, or just sound?
    -If I test this with light waves, I have easy access to a spectrometer and other instruments needed.

I was planning on comparing the spectrometer results with the original light and the light going through the material, but I don't know if that would provide accurate results.

-If I work with sound waves, I know the Fourier Series can be easily done, but can I measure the absorbtion of the material?

I know this is all over the place, I just really need guidance. Thank you so much

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted