1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series and limits

1. Sep 27, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The major problem I am facing while solving for fourier series is about the limits to be taken while integrating..!!
    In the general equation of fourier series the upper & lower limits are t1 & t1+T respectively..while solving for even functions we take t1 =-T/2..!! Why is it so..?? does this have something to do with the symmetry across y-axis??
    In the 2 attached waveforms , in the first one , limits were like -pi to pi..while in 2nd limits are 0 to T/2.>!! I am not getting this..!!

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The limits are t1 to t1+T whre T is the time period..but I am not getting how to decide value of t1..!!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You have a function that is periodic with a period ##T##. From the point of view of the theory, it makes no difference what value of ##t_1## you use, it will not affect the result (try it for yourself). Therefore, it is best to take the most convenient limits for the integration. If the function is even, using ##t_1 = -T/2## could save you from the full integral, by taking twice the integral from ##t_1## to ##t_1 + T/2##.

The second case is somewhat similar to what I mentionned. Since the function is 0 for half the period, starting from 0 allows you to end at ##T/2##, since the integral from ##T/2## to ##T## results in 0.

4. Sep 27, 2014 #3
    Ohkk.. I have got the difference..! thanks for the help...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted