Fourier Series: I don't understand where I am wrong --

In summary, the student is struggling with finding the integrals for a0 and an. They get stuck because the integrals are zero because the areas below the curves are equal but opposite in sign.
thegreengineer
Good afternoon people. Recently I started taking a course at my college about Fourier series but I got extremely confused. Here's what's going on. In school we were asigned to use the symmetry formulas to find the Fourier series of the following:

[itex]
f\left ( t \right )=\begin{cases}
1 & \text{ if } \frac{-\pi}{2}<t<\frac{\pi}{2} \\
-1 & \text{ if } \frac{\pi}{2}<t<\frac{3\pi}{2}
\end{cases}
[/itex]

When I graphed this in Grapher I got this:
https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13407101_1738656489752221_1878293657018401357_n.jpg?oh=d155347d56369cb604569b1ed009554f&oe=57D60153
So judging it by its symmetry I see that this is an even function. Therefore:
[itex]a_{0}=\frac{2}{T}\int_{0}^{\frac{T}{2}}f\left ( t \right )dt[/itex]
[itex]a_{n}=\frac{4}{T}\int_{0}^{\frac{T}{2}}f\left ( t \right )cos\left ( n\omega_0 t\right )dt[/itex]
[itex]b_{n}=0[/itex]
Therefore, since this is an even function it can be represented through a summation of cosines:
[itex]f\left ( t \right )=\frac{a_0}{2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty }a_{n}cos\left ( n\omega_0t \right )[/itex]

Next, in the integrals for both a0 and an we have the limit from 0 to T/2. According to my professor, this means we take this piecewise function from 0 to half the period. I calculated the period as the subtraction of 3π/2 and -π/2 and I get a period of 2π. Therefore T/2=2π/2=π. So the integrals become:
[itex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f\left ( t \right )dt[/itex]
[itex]a_{n}=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}f\left ( t \right )cos\left ( n\omega_0 t\right )dt[/itex].

So now here is where my struggle begins. When I calculate a0 and an I get this problem. Let's suppose I calculate a0 first. So I need to see which pieces of that piecewise function are in the interval for the integrals (i.e. between 0 and π as we previously calcuated). These functions are 1 and -1; since 1 is in the interval from 0 to π/2, and -1 is in the interval from π/2 to π. So a0 becomes:
[itex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}(1)dt+\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi}(-1)dt[/itex]
When I calculate it I get that a0=0. This same thing occurs when I calculate an:
[itex]a_{n}=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}(1)cos\left ( nt \right )dt+\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi}(-1)cos\left ( nt \right )dt[/itex].
It also becomes zero because the only thing we are doing is multiplying the cosines to the original, but the integrals themselves still add to zero.
It's logical for those integrals to be zero because the areas that result from below those curves are equal but are opposite in sign so when I add them they cancel each other.
I don't know where I'm wrong in this: whether if its that the symmetry is not even or that the formulas are wrong, that's how they taught this in college. I wonder how to solve this and how to prevent this from happen.
Thanks for your answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcusAu314 said:
[itex]a_{n}=\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}(1)cos\left ( nt \right )dt+\frac{2}{\pi}\int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi}(-1)cos\left ( nt \right )dt[/itex].
It also becomes zero

I don't think so.

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a way to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It can be used to analyze and approximate different types of signals, such as sound waves and electrical signals.

2. How is a Fourier Series calculated?

A Fourier Series is calculated by finding the coefficients for each sine and cosine term through integration. These coefficients are then used to create an infinite sum that represents the original function.

3. What is the purpose of a Fourier Series?

The purpose of a Fourier Series is to simplify the analysis and representation of periodic functions. It allows us to break down a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to understand and manipulate.

4. Can a Fourier Series accurately represent any function?

No, a Fourier Series can only accurately represent periodic functions. If a function is not periodic, the Fourier Series will have an infinite number of terms and will not converge to the original function.

5. What are some applications of Fourier Series?

Fourier Series have many practical applications, such as signal processing, image compression, and solving differential equations. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics for analyzing and understanding periodic phenomena.