Where Can I Find Information on Fourier Series in 2-D and Orthogonal Systems?

In summary, a Fourier series in 2-3D is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in two or three dimensions using sinusoidal functions. It differs from traditional Fourier series in that it can accurately approximate functions in multiple dimensions. It has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, including image and signal processing and heat transfer analysis. The calculation of a Fourier series in 2-3D involves finding coefficients of sinusoidal functions and combining them to create the final representation. The benefits of using a Fourier series in 2-3D include high accuracy and the ability to simplify complex functions for analysis.
DrKareem
Hi. I've been trying to find some material about Fourier Series in 2-D, along with 2-D Orthogonal Systems, but i haven't been able to find any about the former in any of the books i have (Toslov and Butkov's Mathematical Physics) nor online (nothing on mathworld?). Any input would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This works for me:Partial Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems With Applications
by Mark A. Pinsky

Thanks I'll check it out.

1. What is a Fourier series in 2-3D?

A Fourier series in 2-3D is a mathematical representation of a periodic function in two or three dimensions as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to approximate a given function and is commonly used in signal processing, image and sound analysis, and other scientific applications.

2. How is a Fourier series in 2-3D different from a traditional Fourier series?

A traditional Fourier series is used to represent a function in one dimension, whereas a Fourier series in 2-3D is used to represent a function in two or three dimensions. This allows for a more accurate approximation of the function, as it takes into account variations in multiple dimensions.

3. What are the applications of Fourier series in 2-3D?

Fourier series in 2-3D have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some common applications include image and signal processing, data compression, heat transfer analysis, and quantum mechanics.

4. How is a Fourier series in 2-3D calculated?

A Fourier series in 2-3D is calculated by first finding the coefficients of the sinusoidal functions that make up the series. These coefficients are then combined with the corresponding sinusoidal functions to create the final representation of the function in two or three dimensions.

5. What are the benefits of using a Fourier series in 2-3D?

One of the main benefits of using a Fourier series in 2-3D is that it allows for a more accurate representation of a periodic function in multiple dimensions. This can be useful in various applications where a high level of precision is required, such as in image and signal processing. Additionally, Fourier series in 2-3D can also help simplify complex functions and make them easier to analyze and manipulate.